Jason's Reviews > And Then There Were None

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

1205474
Jun 02, 2008

Recommended for: Mystery fans, aspiring screenwriters, everyone
Read in February, 2008

I first read Christie a few weeks ago when I completed “Murder on the Orient Express”. It blew me away, and I knew I would have to read more. “And Then There Were None” was a logical choice since it is so famous. My local library had a copy available for me.
I do not think I have ever read through a book that quickly. It was very short, but very exciting! Agatha Christie does not disappoint in presenting not only a mystery that I did not figure out until the truth was told to me, but an engaging thriller.
It is the characters that make the story so amazing. With hardly any time spent on them in such a short book, all ten of the main characters came across as real and vibrant. After only a few pages I felt that I understood who they were, and what they wanted. Furthermore, I felt sorry for several of the characters even though they were, really, villains.
Otherwise there is little to say for the story because it was so short. I suppose it suffices to say that it was one of the best short books I’ve ever read, and I am sure I will be reading it again.

4 Characters
The characters are living and vibrant. They feel like unique individuals rather than cardboard cutouts. Furthermore, Christie was able to get me to care for the characters, and relate to them, even though they were all murderers in one way or another.

5 Pace
No part of this book was boring or slow. As soon as the first page is read, a person finds themselves forced to continue. No time is wasted. The characters are introduced, put on the island, and then they start dying. The pace quickens as the murders continue… and I found myself missing work to continue reading.

4 Story
The plot behind the story feels slightly thin- that a madman would lure nine people to an island to give them justice society could not, but it serves the concept and it works.

4 Dialogue
The dialogue between characters is well written. I never questioned who was speaking at a given moment, though I did frequently wonder just who was thinking.

3 Style/Technical
I wonder if the style is indicative of the times. There are many paragraph breaks that I would call needless, and she prefaces dialogue with a single, short paragraph identifying who was doing the speaking. It was never difficult and always clear, but did read strangely as a result. Her later works are not like that.

4 Overall
This is a good book. I can understand why elements of it have been adapted to broadly for other books, comics, movies, and video games. I will be reading it again, if only to tap into the strange sense of unknown terror that it provides…

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And Then There Were None.

11/21/2017 marked as: read

Izlinda I like your style of reviewing. I also enjoyed the book, though it has been a long time since I read it.