Penelope's Reviews > Peas and Thank You: Simple Meatless Meals the Whole Family Will Love

Peas and Thank You by Sarah Matheny

Nov 13, 2011

bookshelves: fall-11, veg-n-and-cooking

I made 3 recipes from this book, and also 1 recipe from the Peas and Thank You blog while I had this book out from the library. There are some great recipes, both in the book and blog. I imagine the anecdotes and other non-recipe content of the book are probably significantly more entertaining if you happen to be a parent. I generally skipped the non-recipe text because really...I don't get a recipe book to read funny/cute anecdotes. I get a recipe book because I'm hoping to find awesome recipes.

What I made:
-Spicy African Peanut Slow Cooker Soup (pg 75 in book). This stew was really great--I made it on the stove instead of in a slow cooker. It was not, however, spicy (nor was there a strong peanut flavor). If you like spicy definitely modify a bit. I served it over rice, like a curry, rather than as a stew.

-Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread (pg 97 in book). This was tasty, but the cook time wasn't quite right (for me). The bread was undercooked when I first took it out of the oven, and I had to put it back in after it had already cooled a bit (oops). It was still reeeeally good--just kind of ugly looking. I liked the tip included with this recipe to store it in the fridge.

-Double Chocolate/Single Chin Brownies (pg 199 in book). Vegan low-fat brownies. Sounds pretty gross, right? These brownies are actually delicious. I only wish I'd had the ingredients on hand to make some mocha frosting to spread on top--would've been perfect! Again, I had to bake longer than directed.

-Pumpkin Molasses Cookie Dough Balls (not in book). I didn't have all the ingredients to make the infamous Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Balls (pg 244 in book) so I decided to try one of Sarah's other cookie dough ball recipes. I ate all these cookies within 3 days. Needless to say, they were really good...too good. And, once again, I had to bake longer than directed.

What I wanted to make:
-Beg-Worthy Banana Bread (pg 19 in book)
-Tofu Fun Nuggets (pg 131 in book)--still hoping to make this one before I have to return the book to the library
-Better Than Ever Black Bean Burgers (pg 137 in book)--always looking for tasty veggie burger recipes
-Green and Red Lentil Enchiladas (pg 155 in book)
-Tempeh Chili (pg 159 in book)
-Indian Shepherd's Pie (pg 176 in book)

There are plenty of enticing recipes, and the ones I made turned out well. Quite a few recipes call for faux meats and soy products, so if you're not into that, this book might not be very satisfying. I don't like faux meats for the most part but in some recipes those ingredients could easily be subbed out for something else or simply left out entirely.

Overall, this is a nice collection of vegan recipes (some easily convert to vegetarian if you want to include milk/cheese/butter).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Peas and Thank You.

November 13, 2011 – Started Reading
November 13, 2011 – Shelved
November 13, 2011 – Shelved as: fall-11
November 13, 2011 – Shelved as: veg-n-and-cooking
November 17, 2011 –
page 20
7.81% "I've marked about 15 recipes in this book that sounded particularly tasty/interesting. Quite a few include fake meats (blech) although I imagine you could easily sub beans or some other protein. Looking forward to making the tofu nuggets. I'm embarrassed to say that after being a vegetarian for a year I still completely fail at cooking tofu."
November 19, 2011 –
page 20
7.81% "Made the Spicy African Peanut Slow Cooker Soup tonight (not in a slow cooker). It was good--basically sweet potato and chickpea curry. Will probably make again, but I think I'd add more chickpeas, sweet potatoes and other veggies. I served it over rice (not really as a soup) and thought it was quite tasty."
November 27, 2011 –
page 20
7.81% "Made the chocolate chip zucchini bread. It was a success, although I accidentally took it out of the oven before it was done and then had to put it back in...oops...still turned out pretty well (the outside was just extra crispy and a little ugly from being poked too many times). I subbed half the whole wheat flour with white but otherwise followed the recipe exactly."
December 1, 2011 – Finished Reading