Elizabeth's Reviews > Saltypie: A Choctaw Journey from Darkness into Light

Saltypie by Tim Tingle

This book was a 2012 American Indian Library Association's Youth Literature Award Picture Book Honor Book -- the only one of the four honor books from that year that I could actually get from any of my local library networks.

Like Virginia Driving Hawk Sneve's The Christmas Coat: Memories of My Sioux Childhood , this draws on the author's own childhood -- though while I think The Christmas Coat may be a somewhat fictionalized account, this book seems intentionally telling the story of the author's ... well of his grandmother, specifically. We start with a childhood experience of the author's and move both forward and backward in time to weave a story of his grandmother, though one grounded in the author's own voice and experience.

It's very clearly a story of Choctaw experience, but it also feels very familiar to readers of USian historical fiction picturebooks -- the events of the story span 1915 to 1970, mostly in less urban environments. The illustrations are soft and warm.

I don't love the deployment of disability in the latter portion of the story -- though the scene in the hospital waiting room is quite lovely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saltypie.

April 4, 2018 – Started Reading