Jordan Anderson's Reviews > Bloody Mary

Bloody Mary by J.A. Konrath

If you thought “Whiskey Sour” was too violent (although this was tame compared to Blake Crouch) or if it was too graphic (seriously? Read Ed Lee if you want to be grossed out), then “Bloody Mary” is most assuredly not the book for you. Like any GOOD sequel, Jack is back, and this time there’s more blood, more gore, and enough action to keep even the most severe cases of ADHD entertained.

There’s always that worry about a “Sophomore slump” when it comes to sequels and new books, but that worry should be the furthest thing from anyone’s mind because “Bloody Mary” is not only a solid 2nd book in this series, it’s even better than the first.

Like I said, Jack Daniels is back, and better than ever. As is my style, I won’t give away and plot secrets or too many details (that’s why YOU need to READ this), but I will say that the villain in this one is bigger (literally), better, and badder (I know, not really a word) than the Gingerbread Man from “Whiskey”. Jack is better as well. She’s till dealing with her insomnia and personal problems, but like any tweaked protagonist, she’s the anti-hero you can’t help but root for.

What also makes “Bloody Mary” better than it’s predecessor is it’s pacing, it’s content, and it’s plot. “Whiskey” had all of those things, no doubt, but with this one, all of those characteristics are better. The writing is the same, but even quicker, as is the content,, although “Bloody Mary” lives up to it’s name in the bodily fluid factor. I enjoyed the plot on “Mary” better because what Konrath presents here, albeit a bit stretched and amped up, can be something totally plausible.

Like the first book, “Bloody Mary” will have it’s haters, but as I said in my last review, don’t take soccer-moms and uber-conservative critiques as anything serious. This novel was a powerhouse that is impossible to put down and keeps you wondering until the last second how Konrath will conclude. I cannot wait to read “Rusty Nail” because if these 2 are any indication, Konrath will deliver yet again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloody Mary.

Started Reading