Meg's Reviews > On the Prowl

Nov 13, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: women-supernatural, short-stories, shape-shifters
Read in November, 2011

I mostly picked up this one to get a hit of Patricia Briggs' werewolves while waiting for the next book to come out. And I was not disappointed in that read. Solid characters, solid world, I adore her werewolves every time she writes them.

I also enjoyed Eilene Wilks' story "Inhuman" and may seek out some of her work after reading the novella. She definitely caught my interest with her characters the world she's set up.

The last two in the collection reminded me that while it's trendy to write women supernatural books in first person, I much prefer third person. First person can be done well, but most first person works in this genre feel more amateur and self serving. Still, there was a charm in Karen Chance's story, "Buying Trouble." She hit some of my buttons with twists she took. The auction house scene was a lot of fun and I was sad we left it so quickly. The ending felt rushed and there were some characters we didn't get to explore, but it wasn't a bad story all told.

The last novella, "Mona Lisa Betwining" by Sunny was highly disappointing, as it was thin film of plot over a great big excuse for smut. I have nothing against erotica, smut, sex, etc, and I'm aware that it's very common in the genre, along with first person narrative. But it's not what I read for. I tend to skim sex while looking for the plot, so I pretty much skimmed the entire story. Too bad, because she's got an interesting world that I'd like to see more done with, if I wasn't certain it's a world that exists as an excuse for, yes, more smut.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Prowl.