T.R. Graves's Reviews > Crossed

Crossed by Ally Condie

Nov 13, 2011

How can such a benign thing as a book of white pages filled with black words – ones that mean nothing when uttered separately – become so powerful? DO NOT GO GENTLE… DO NOT GO GENTLE… DO NOT GO GENTLE. The words resonate in my mind, reminding me to stand up for all that is right…for all that have been wronged…for what I believe.

For me, the best books are those which leave thoughts in your mind and a passion in your heart. Yes, the characters are great; the story-line is fresh; and the descriptions are such that you can envision the blues, greens, and reds being described. But, it is the underlying morals and ethics and messages of love taking this book (series) to the level of timeless.

The way Ally Condie describes her character’s longing for lost works of art makes me want to go back and 1) read every great book ever written in order to appreciate the gift of words that author has given to us; 2) look at every masterpiece and admire the thousands of strokes it took for the artist to complete the work; and 3) most importantly, to thank every soldier who has died protecting the freedoms we enjoy. Because of them, we have the ability to choose our mates/our hometowns/our jobs, to freely read any genre we like, to enjoy uncensored art, and to travel anywhere our feet will take use. Only a great author could make us mourn that which we have as if it had been stolen from us when it was stripped from the book’s characters.

T.R. Graves
Warriors of the Cross
Guardians of the Cross
Enemies of the Cross
Left
Grave Bound
Underground

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossed.