Suze Lavender's Reviews > The Forgotten Ones

The Forgotten Ones by Steena Holmes

Elle loves her mother very much, but she also worries about her. Marie isn't mentally stable and Elle knows her mother had a difficult childhood. She tries to be there for her mother as much as she can. When she finds out Marie lied to her about her parents and Elle's grandfather is still alive instead of dead, Elle is shocked. She decides to visit him before it's too late. Her grandfather isn't what she expected and his stories are terrible. Are they true or do they consist of more lies? Elle continuously asks her mother for the truth, but Marie doesn't share her secrets. How can Elle find out what happened in the past?

Elle's grandfather has a dreadful confession to make. Is he unburdening himself before his death? Elle doesn't believe what he says, but she can't dismiss it either. She will have to do research to get to the bottom of the matter. However, where should she start and who has the answers? Marie isn't strong, is Elle making the right decision to find out more about a time her mother so desperately wants to forget? Elle has to act quickly before there's nobody left who can give her the information she seeks, will she manage to get to the bottom of the matter?

The Forgotten Ones is a terrific gripping story. I love books about family secrets and Steena Holmes has written a great one. Elle is strong and capable, but she constantly questions her mental state because of her family history. She loves deeply and likes helping others, which made her a wonderful main character. Marie is a loving mother, she has her issues, but she adores her daughter and has created many good memories with Elle. They have a strong connection, but Elle discovers she doesn't know much about her mother and she wants to have answers. Even though Marie doesn't like it, she lets her daughter dig, which I found incredibly admirable. I was curious to find out if Elle's search would actually be harmful for her mother and loved all the surprising twists and turns in her story. It kept me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end and I read The Forgotten Ones in one sitting.

Steena Holmes skillfully works with tension. Every chapter brings new information. Her story is fast-paced and filled with suspense. I sometimes forgot to breathe, which is exactly the effect a good thrilling story should have. Elle's mother and grandfather lost everything and their story is sad, creepy and distressing. It grabbed me from beginning to end. The Forgotten Ones is a fantastic book and I highly recommend this compelling poignant story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgotten Ones.

Started Reading