Ellyn → Allonsythornraxx's Reviews > Again, but Better

bookshelves: 2019releases, stars-3

FIND MY REVIEW AND OTHERS ON MY BLOG *Mild Spoilers*

10/06/2019
2.75⭐
Wow, I literally only just finished this so I'm a bit unsure of what I want to say so I might write a review up later today or tomorrow. All I'll say in case I don't is that I had a lot of thoughts while reading this and most of them were negative, but some of them were also positive. I think this book is going to get a lot of bad press so I want everyone to remember that this was the author's debut novel and that the reading experience is different for everyone.

I think my main gripe with this book was that it made me uncomfortable. I don't know how else to explain it, other than, this book involves cheating in one way or another and the main character, Shane also has a quite an intense/full on personality that I know irl would annoy me. And there were a bunch of other little things - basically when you put everything together and you get to the point, Shane (MC) is too similar to Christine (author) and so that made me uncomfortable because it made me feel like I was judging her and that left a bad taste in my mouth.

I had a bit of a hard time reading this one, especially in the middle but overall, this isn't a terrible book. I won't ever read it again and I won't praise it like it's the best thing in the word, but there are definitely worse books out there, so if this sounds like something you'd like, why not give it a try? I especially loved all the travelling the characters did, so for me, that was one of the best things that this book did for me.

Also, I swear I'm almost done but, I wanted to add this in here. I don't know what age group this fits into. I think it's being marketed as YA but has some NA themes and the characters definitely fit into the NA age category. There's some F bombs, mentions of sex and fades to black and some other heavier themes you don't usually see in YA. So, I guess you'll have to make up your own mind on that front, I just wanted to mention it.

[Note: Ha, that was actually a lot more thoughts than I meant to type down, so maybe I will write a review?]
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Again, but Better.

April 3, 2018 – Shelved
April 3, 2018 – Shelved as: maybe
November 29, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
November 29, 2018 – Shelved as: 2019releases
May 15, 2019 – Started Reading
page 20
5.36% "Oh God, I'm stuck back in 2012 😫😫😫"
page 20
5.36% ""I look up at his eyes, they're green like olives" WHO IS THIS GIRL???"
page 96
25.74% "I went into this with such an open mind and I am going to try to keep an open mind going forward but so far this reads like something I would have picked up in 2012 and given 2 stars and I'm thinking that's going to be the case here. Shane seems overly naive and very very 2012 contemporary which has never really been my thing. I want to keep an open mind though ugh! 🙄😫"
June 4, 2019 –
page 150
40.21% "Okay, so I'm not hating this by any means though, it certainly reads like a debut. But, I'm definitely not loving the obvious cheating hole this book is going to inevitably fall down. Not cute."
June 5, 2019 –
page 180
48.26% "I have no idea where I'm at in the book because I don't have a physical copy but I'm *roughly* half way and WOAH TIME JUMP MUCH?"
page 190
50.94% "The repetitiveness/quirkiness of the MC would be cute if I wasn't having such a hard time reading this book. I can appreciate what the author is trying to do, but this book honestly leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I think we're getting close to a dnf here, people."
page 200
53.62% "Can I just say, and I mean this in the nicest way. I don't care."
page 200
53.62% "If what I think is happening, is actually happening I'm going to leave."
page 210
56.3% "I swear, every year I read a terrible book that I refuse to dnf out of pure spite. Last year it was Zenith, the year before it was American Gods and this year it's Again, But Better. 😫😫"
page 210
56.3% "Okay, so I wanted to try and remain impartial while reading this but I've been muttering "I am Switzerland. I am Switzerland..." under my breath for the last 5 minutes and it's only serving to make me look crazy. This book is getting on my nerves, it's too much all at once, and the incessant trivia facts being thrown at me via Shane aren't helping."
56.3% "*spoilers*
Okay, so we're really doing this time travel events do-over which is fine. im fine. it's not an easy way to fix a situation at all and i'm fine with it. it's fine. did I mention it's fine? Sorry.
I am actually fine with it now that we're fully into this time travel thing, I just wish that the characters didn't still act like teenagers - they're supposed to be adults trapped in their teen bodies. Come on!"
page 290
77.75% "Okay, so I'm thinking this is more NA than YA but I'm not sure - it's definitely toeing the line."
page 320
85.79% "Ngl, this last quarter is A LOT better! I'm enjoying how Shane has matured a lot more and actually thinks things through - also, just straight up I love it when characters take time to focus on themselves and improve THEIR life w/o focusing on other people. I'm sure there will be a romantic ending though because this whole book is very reminiscent of a 2012 contemporary romance."
page 320
85.79% "While we're on this positive note, I would also like to add that I'm enjoying all these little glimpses into everyone travelling - though, I would like to see more! I want to know all about the weather and what colour the benches were and what exactly they saw etc etc. Sort of like the pasta thing at the very start of when Shane arrived in London."
page 320
85.79% "The way this book is ending and the way Shane's arc is going does give me more hope for Christine's 2nd book but I think I'll wait for more reviews to come out next time.
I'm going to say this here in case I never get around to writing a review. I love the idea of this book but the fact that I'm reading it and picturing Christine makes me uncomfortable. She doesn't separate herself from the character much/at all."
June 10, 2019 –
page 350
93.83% "Lampost.
Fuckn what b*tch?
No thanks. This is too much for me."
June 10, 2019 – Finished Reading
June 16, 2019 – Shelved as: stars-3

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Molly Likovich it's def YA in my opinion, just college-age YA, but still has that YA writing style but in a great way