Miranda Reads's Reviews > The Wonderer: A Darby, Baird & Co. Novel

The Wonderer by A. Reneé Olesiewicz

bookshelves: received-to-review, 2018-finer-books-club-reading-chall

"We're going to tell them a story."

"Like make-believe? Fairy tales?"

"All stories have basis in truth..."

description
Magic exists. It's always existed.

Just because people no longer believe... Just because folks surround themselves with all sorts of technology... Doesn't mean magic up and disappeared.

It's there, it's everywhere.
The trump-card of misdirection, the opaque artistic license of sleight-of-hand is all governed by a singular law: it's all in the execution.
The perfect cover to practice magic in modern world is as a magician. As long as enough exaggerated motions are thrown in, as long as the audience thinks they can see through the trick then true magicians can live quite comfortable lives, if a bit lonely.

Set in the Big Apple during the 1920s we follow the story of:
A young-at-heart magician meets an aspiring little songbird beside a Central Park Fountain.
Darby (our songbird) stumbles upon Baird (our magician) during one of his impromptu magic shows and immediately she's entranced. She finds him again, and again, and each time she's inexplicably drawn closer to him and his wild magic.

But the closer they grow, the greater the stakes. As dangers mount, they begin to wonder, will they even survive?

I liked reading this one (I'm a sucker for magicians and old-timey stories). Though, I did have a bit of trouble following parts of the plot - this book was so fast paced that a few times I had to go back and reread parts.

This is (in part) because when I'm reading a good book, I have a habit of reading so fast that I start to skim a bit. I learned that this is not one of those books you can skim and get the gist of. You really have to read all of it to stay with the story.

I definitely liked the dynamic between our main characters, Darby and Baird. I loved the cat and mouse chase between them throughout the novel. I especially enjoyed the humor that Olesiewicz threw in. It really appealed my funny bone:
"The walls to my apartment are so thin, the other day I sneezed and I got a "God Bless" from upstairs, a "Gesundheit" from across the hall, and a "Shut the hell up" from below."
Overall, a fun quick read - I do wish it was longer and would've loved for some of the shorter chapters to have been given more page space.

The Finer Books Club: 2018 Reading Challenge - A book by an author who has written just one book

With thanks to the author for providing a free copy in exchange for an honest review

Blog | Instagram | Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wonderer.

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by A. (new)

A. Olesiewicz Thank you for the insightful, eloquent, and wonderful Review, Miranda Reads!!!! =D

Miranda Reads A. wrote: "Thank you for the insightful, eloquent, and wonderful Review, Miranda Reads!!!! =D"