Cass - Words on Paper's Reviews > Just One Day

Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Nov 13, 2011

bookshelves: author-love, 2013-release, bought, read-2013, favourites, france, own

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THIS?!?! Wow, what a discovery. Well, thanks Gayle. Now we all have to wait a whole year (at the least) for your next book.

Sounds a lot more lighthearted than IF I STAY. I'm a bit apprehensive about the movie star bit, but I'm sure you'll pull it off and turn me into a believer. GRRR 2013. 2013... 2.0.1.3

Also, http://www.penguin.com.au/covers/cata... cover look alike?

4.5/5

Anyone else feel like the ending was way too quick? Despite that, I LOVED this book. I got more out of it than I honestly thought I would.

JUST ONE DAY is a story about getting lost and then being found. It's about bravery and discovering help in the most unlikely places. It's about change, about definitions on life and its various aspects; there is something deeply romantic about the way this book was written. Not just that at its core it's a story about love. It just whisked me away such that I became as invested in the WHERE we were as well as the WHAT was going on.

[NOTE: I bought this book, so I don't feel as obligated to go all out with a review, but in some cases, if the book left enough of an impression on me I will make the effort. So I'll eventually finish this review. :P]

+ The way the book is split up, and also Forman's decision to have one book in Ally's perspective and the next in Willem's. This time that was actually picked up first go.

+ The places!

+ The Shakespeare! I was surprised by how big a part him and his work played in this book. I didn't read any summaries before reading. All I knew was something about just one day... so yeah. Kind of cool how Shakespeare kind of pops his head in every step of the way.

+ An epic (+...) journey of self-discovery and (redemption?) I like that Forman made a point of it, that Allyson isn't just doing this to find the guy. She's also trying to find the girl she was on that day, and also who she is and what she's going to do in the future and all that stuff... blah.

+ The characters! AAHHHHHHH!!! Ally meets lots of people, and yet somehow a good chunk of them had a level of depth to them. Some we didn't get to know too well (like her roommates). I liked Dee and Wren and the teacher and also to an extent Celine.

~ The formatting (?). I'm not sure if it was just the edition that I bought but there are so many typos! And grammatical errors that seem to have only have been made because a word was ommitted, or something was added in when it shouldn't have been. Eg. "Blah blah," __ said." The actual writing style was fine. Those slip-ups were just jarring.

~ That ending. Of course, it's only the middle, ain't it?

Compared to ~ Wanderlove (Kirsten Hubbard), Anna and the French Kiss (Stephanie Perkins) & If I Stay/Where She Went (also by Gayle Forman)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just One Day.

November 13, 2011 – Shelved
December 30, 2012 – Shelved as: author-love
December 30, 2012 – Shelved as: 2013-release
January 23, 2013 – Shelved as: bought
January 24, 2013 – Started Reading
January 25, 2013 –
page 82
22.22% "Feels like Wanderlove (Kirsten Hubbard). I liked the love analogy. I want her watch too. :P The name Lulu will always remind me of the cartoon."
January 25, 2013 –
page 171
46.34% "At this point right now-- Lies (Marina & the Diamonds)♪♪~ Also I can't help thinking of Willem as Logan (Gilmore Girls), which isn't helping me feel anything for Willem at this moment. This book just got really interesting though."
January 26, 2013 – Shelved as: favourites
January 26, 2013 – Shelved as: read-2013
January 26, 2013 – Finished Reading
January 7, 2014 – Shelved as: france
February 5, 2017 – Shelved as: own

Angela Wow, that cover looks exactly the same probably taken by the same person.

Nyree Wade Yes, I felt exhausted-- and anxious reading this story, not to mention frustrated by the abrupt ending. I hope she elaborates more in the second story-- and allows us to have have a proper ending, and closure. I want to read something that I can close the book and smile about and think of the characters later-- and smile again! I felt entirely uncomfortable and disappointed when I finished reading this one,not because I didn't like the story, but because I felt as though the reader follows lu lu through so much-- only to stop short of the finish line. Great for lu lu for getting the answers she needed, but what about us? We followed her through her frustrating, heartbreaking, intense journey-- to fall short of answers. Oh, this book was good, but man was I tiffed by then ending. :(

Lina In my case I loved the end. And I didn't think it came too quickly. I admit I thought she would leave without talking to him. However even when I loved Allyson, when she got back home and was at the university she annoyed me so much... I even compared her a little to bella swan in new moon (whom I also like but still)