Sarah - Musings of the Modern Belle's Reviews > Pretty Reckless

Pretty Reckless by L.J. Shen

- - AVAILABLE NOW- FULL REVIEW - -

Wow....just wow! LJ Shen delivers with the second generation of sinners! Get ready.

- - -

5 Hideous Monster CROWNS

LEIGH SHEN certainly kicks of the second generation of the Sinners of Saints with a bang. The angst and twists and turns are many, the characters are mostly rotten and devious, and yet I was consumed by the whole world and each deviant tothole .

These characters aren’t your standard YA girls and boys. Would you expect them to when they are the product of the Sinners of Saint? They are entitled and privileged, and on some level ethically decaying, but none more so than Daria Followhill. What is interesting about Daria, though, is that Shen really digs into her character and is able to make her character sympathetic. My heart ached for her this spoiled princess, because I truly felt like understand her plights and her desire to be more but stuck where she was. I also found Daria’s character to be incredible authentic with her insecurities. Shen successfully takes this complex, three dimensional character and makes her someone we root for and hope for her to get her HEA.

Penn is another complex character with loyalties torn between family and love. Nothing is easy for him, and in a world of secrets, some being his own, he makes mistakes that can’t always be taken back. Again, what makes those moments understandable is the he is young and reacts emotionally, he has a sense of loyalty, which is admirable, and he is trying to deal with the new emotions hitting his heart. Once he finally comes to his senses, the doggedness with which he pursues Daria is exactly what she is worth, and I love that these two broken people find themselves individually and as a couple.

You think you know what Pretty Reckless is going to be about but you don’t. I never expected Daria and Penn to be so complex. I never expected the twists and turns that seem to come out of nowhere until you realize all the breadcrumbs she leaves for readers along the way. She also hits on highlights a severe issue plaguing high school students right now - the idea of perfection presented to the outside while dying internally. Pretty Reckless also exemplifies that everyone has secrets and parts of themselves they want to hide, but in this commonality, they can find solace and understanding. . More than anything, though, I love the topic of family that is addressed throughout the story. In fact, the story is not just one about Daria alone but of the Followhills. This family exemplifies that in the darkest of times families stick together, they forgive, and even if they don’t forget, they take the steps to mend what has been broken. Because familial love should be unconditional, even if you don’t like the way they behave.

The romance of Penn and Daria, the evolution of the heroine, and the issues tackled in Pretty Reckless makes Shen’s newest foray into the YA genre an absolute must read and the perfect way to start out 2019! One thing is for sure, I can’t wait for more totholes.

Beta read

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Reckless.

April 3, 2018 – Shelved
April 3, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
November 5, 2018 – Started Reading
November 9, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Isa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Isa LaCroqueuseDeLivres it's L.J Shen. I KNOW I'll love it!!!!

christy matthews CAN'T WAIT!!!!

LianaReads blog And now I hate the wait 😍❤️

Sherrie Merrell Fabulous review 💜 can't wait

message 5: by Ketura (new)

Ketura Worthen Loved your review! So clearly expressed

Lorna I cannot wait 💕.

message 7: by Vicky (new) - added it

Vicky I can't wait to read this book!!

BLuvsBooks Love this review. 💜

message 9: by Diane (new) - added it

Diane Silvia Awesome review

Chelsea Jennings On point review!