GSMC Book Review Podcast's Reviews > The Sisters of Alameda Street

The Sisters of Alameda Street by Lorena Hughes

The sisters of Alameda street tells the story of Malena, a young woman who finds a letter after her father’s death that changes everything she thought she knew about her mother. All of her life Malena thought her mother had died in a car accident and so she was raised by her father and grandmother. The letter, though, shows that this wasn’t the case and her mother may, in fact, still be alive. Finding the letter sends Malena on a journey not only to a new city but to a series of events that will test what she thought she knew about her family. This journey leads her to a family with 4 sisters, all with the same initials, all of whom could be her mother.

The relationships in this book are complex and human. This is a family that houses a lot of secrets and as the outsider Malena is in a unique position to view them as both individuals and a unit. As she begins to understand them she begins to learn why her mother might have given her up and why her father and grandmother lied to her about it for her whole life.

The one thing Malena does know: Mama Bianca is her grandmother, and she embraces her as such from the moment of meeting her. She also has cousins in Claudia and Javier, but could they actually be her siblings? The mystery might be simpler if Malena just asks the sisters outright, but she quickly realizes that this could very easily cause more problems that it would solve.

I greatly enjoyed Hughe’s writing style and story. I especially liked the historical fiction aspect of it. I have never been to Ecuador, so I loved reading about the country and the culture and the customs. The book takes place both in the 60s and the 30s-40s, so I got to see a different culture through the lens of different eras.

This is a book about family, about relationships, and about a young woman figuring out who she is, both within the context of family and as an individual. I love the writing, I loved the story, and I loved going on the journey with Malena to figure out the answers to her questions.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sisters of Alameda Street.

Finished Reading