Mari Cardenas ~ Bayou Book Junkie's Reviews > Strange Medicine

Strange Medicine by S.C. Wynne

bookshelves: 4-5-stars, action, hot, mystery, murder-mystery, series
Read 2 times. Last read March 31, 2018.

4.5 Stars!

Dr. Maxwell Thornton just moved to tiny Rainy Dale, Texas from LA after losing a patient during surgery. Going from surgeon to GP is difficult enough, but having to deal with all the town's people and their illnesses might prove to be more than he can deal with. Especially after one of his most annoying patients ends up dead floating in Maxwell's pool and he is the prime suspect.

Frankly, I wasn't too sure what to make of Maxwell at first, he was very standoffish and awkward. It didn't take me too long to start warming up to him, though, and I ended up loving his quirky personality. I loved that once he was aware that he needed to make a change if he wanted to make it in Rainy Dale, he gave it his all, even if he was still awkward and socially inept. I really liked Royce, although my opinion of him changed and I liked him less after seeing how he treated Maxwell when Ned was found in his pool. I get that he's the sheriff and all, but I would've liked to see him grovel a bit more after Maxwell was in the clear. The chemistry between Maxwell and Royce was amazing and they were very hot together. Even if they were opposites in almost every way, they complemented each other very nicely.

The mystery portion of the book was very well done and while some of the culprits were easy to spot, Ms. Wynne had me guessing about the extent of it all until the big reveal. I loved the small town setting and how much the secondary characters enriched the story.

Overall, this was a fantastic start to this new series and I'm already salivating for more, especially after the way this book ended. Very recommendable!

*** Copy provided to the reviewer for my reading pleasure, a review wasn't a requirement. ***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strange Medicine.

Finished Reading