Zuky the BookBum's Reviews > Bring Me Back

Bring Me Back by B.A. Paris

bookshelves: dnf, 2018

Yep, that’s right! This seriously popular and loved book was a DNF for me. Why can’t I be normal and like what other people like? I managed to read 70% of this before I couldn’t take it anymore and skim read the rest… so you can’t say I didn’t give it a good shot!

From just a couple of pages in, I could already feel this one was going to disappoint. Behind Closed Doors was clearly a one-off for me, and I have resigned myself to never be sucked in by the hype of a B. A. Paris novel again. We just don’t gel.

I’ll start off by saying that right from the start, the whole story didn’t excite me, and maybe that was a telling sign for me not to pick up this book, but I hate missing out on something that’s potentially mind-blowing! I mean this book came with the slogan ‘#FORGETSLEEP’, so it certainly sounded like it was going to be gripping and exciting. The plot sounded super samey for a dedicated crime thriller reader like me, and once I actually got into the story, everything became super cheesy.

The chapters are told through alternating POV’s and from different times. First of all, we just hear from past and present Finn, but later into the story, chapters from Layla start appearing too, and that’s when things started getting really sickly over-the-top. The chapters are all very short, and so it’s definitely a quick book to get through because of this. Each one ends in it’s own mini cliff-hanger, which is clearly used to build tension to make you want to keep reading, but I was rolling my eyes at each one. It was almost painful at how cliche they were! For example: “YOU HAVE TEN DAYS” – OK Samara 🙄

But look, sometimes I can get on-board with a novel that’s got a samey plot and is cliche when the characters are interesting in a likeable or dislikeable way. Unfortunately for me, the characters in this novel were simply uninteresting in every way. Finn, for starters, is horrible person. Within a couple of pages you can already tell he’s arrogant and full of self-pity, not to mention, naive as anything. Then there’s Layla, who’s horribly selfish and childish, and at times like a comical Disney villain. As for some of the other characters, like Ellen or Harry, you don’t ever get to know them well enough to grow any attachment to them.

I skim read the ending, as said earlier, and it was an unoriginal ending to an unoriginal story. There was one particular plot device planted right near the beginning of the story that was such an eye-sore, it was almost a relief when Paris used it at the end. As for the “twist”, I could see it from a mile off. Not to mention, it didn’t make much sense? (view spoiler)

Overall, this novel was overly frustrating and boring for me. I didn’t like any of it. What happened to B. A. Paris? Her first book was so well written, filled with creepiness and tension, and had an amazingly clever story… and now we’re here.

I’m clearly in the minority for this novel, and just because I didn’t enjoy it, doesn’t mean you won’t. Hence why I did a giveaway with my copy (congrats to Misty @Misty’s Book Space for winning) so someone else can enjoy it!

Thanks to HQ for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Sorry I didn’t like it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bring Me Back.

April 2, 2018 – Started Reading
April 2, 2018 – Shelved
April 2, 2018 –
page 44
April 2, 2018 –
page 110
32.54% "Not sure about this one so far. Considering how much I loved Behind Closed Doors, I really don’t like Paris’ writing style"
page 150
page 196
57.99% "This is definitely going to be my last B A Paris novel, I’m enjoying this about as much as I enjoyed The Breakdown (not at all lol)"
page 236
69.82% "Oh and I’ve just realised my copy has far less pages than the one I’m currently reading, so I’m just updating it so the percentage is correct..."
April 6, 2018 – Finished Reading
April 10, 2018 – Shelved as: dnf
December 5, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Shaina Mmhmm. I concur w Lisa.

message 3: by Patty (new) - added it

Patty Abarno totally agree

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason Locker I can't believe this is the same author behind Behind Closed Doors. Cannot. believe. it.

message 5: by Andreia ❤The Butterfly Lover❤ Amo Borboletas (last edited May 04, 2018 04:25PM) (new)

Andreia ❤The Butterfly Lover❤ Amo Borboletas Awesome review! I am also over and done with the author!

2shay I agree.

Lisa *OwlBeSatReading* So, I've still not read this and it's waiting to be downloaded from NetGalley. I really don't think I'm going to bother with it! I have a confession to make; I HAD to click on your spoiler Zuky because I just needed that final nail in its coffin!! (That sounds so scathing....ouch!!) I trust your judgement on these psycho-thrills that are flooding the shelves these days. I didn't care that it was a spoiler either. That speaks volumes. It's going, down the tbr hole with you! #FORGETSLEEP ? Nah. #FORGETIT more like. (I'm done, got carried away there, oops!😱😂)

message 8: by Zuky (new) - added it

Zuky the BookBum Lisa *OwlBeSatReading* wrote: "So, I've still not read this and it's waiting to be downloaded from NetGalley. I really don't think I'm going to bother with it! I have a confession to make; I HAD to click on your spoiler Zuky bec..."

Oh Lisa, your comments always bring a smile to my face!! I re-read the spoiler myself and I don't think I've worded it very well, but you get the jist!! 😛

message 9: by Zuky (new) - added it

Zuky the BookBum Jason wrote: "I can't believe this is the same author behind Behind Closed Doors. Cannot. believe. it."

Patty wrote: "totally agree"

2shay wrote: "I agree."

A Girl Among Books and Butterflies wrote: "Awesome review! I am also done and over with the author!"

It's amazing how many of us are so disappointed by B. A. Paris' writing now!