Elizabeth's Reviews > The Song of Achilles

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

bookshelves: 2018-favorites, absolute-forever-favorites, classic-retellings, totally-in-love, complete-mess-of-tears-and-feels, mythology, m-m-reads
Read 2 times. Last read April 10, 2018.

“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”

description

I didn't know I could be reduced to tears through another retelling of the Trojan War. After all, every single likable character dies a horrible death. I am pretty reserved when it comes to falling for a Greek hero, because the death rate is 113%

But I suppose that's why I completely fall for Patroclus. He's not a Greek Hero. (he is a complete bundle of joy, light and beauty) His voice is so raw, so full of emotion and truth, that I couldn't help but adoring him.

And I'm not going to talk about characters and plot because this story has been rehashed a million times, and you aren't reading this book to be surprised. Or critique the plot. It's the Trojan War. (view spoiler)

I don't think I've ever felt a story so keenly. Or hated Agamemnon more. Or raged at Apollo, and Hera and all the other ridiculous Greek Gods for ruining my darlings lives.

Despite everything, Achilles and Patroclus are happy. They deserve nothing less. I'll believe that today and everyday. They're reunited forever and I'm going to go cry about them.

“I have done it," she says. At first I do not understand. But then I see the tomb, and the marks she has made on the stone. A C H I L L E S, it reads. And beside it, P A T R O C L U S.
"Go," she says. "He waits for you."

In the darkness, two shadows, reaching through the hopeless, heavy dusk. Their hands meet, and light spills in a flood like a hundred golden urns pouring out of the sun.”
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Song of Achilles.

Finished Reading
April 2, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
April 2, 2018 – Shelved
April 10, 2018 – Started Reading
April 10, 2018 –
page 310
88.07% "So, yes I stayed up till 2 am reading this. It's just so gripping and heartrending. I didn't know I needed Patroclus and Achilles until I started reading."
April 10, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-favorites