Kate's Reviews > Uncommon Type: Some Stories

Uncommon Type by Tom Hanks

liked it
bookshelves: audiobooks, age-adult, 2018, short-stories

I personally have a couple of old typewriters, so this collection of stories themed around typewriters sounded interesting. I chose to listen to the audiobook, because Tom Hanks, although I had to grab the print book copy to finish out the last story after my loan for the downloadable audio expired. I kind of wish I had read the print copy, because I think the formatting of the stories and the typeset would have given me a slightly different experience.

The short stories themselves were likable. A few were interconnected, and that made this feel like a cohesive collection. None of the stories was especially memorable to me, and I think that's mostly because the endings didn't have the usual twist ending I'm accustomed to, or even a punchy kind of ending. There were a few that I found slightly boring? Overall it was the characters who I liked, not really the plots.

While reading this, I watched a documentary called "California Typewriter" and Tom Hanks was featured with his own typewriter collection. It is pretty obvious that his love of typewriters led to the writing of this book and to most of the expertise shown about typewriters through the various stories. In fact, watching that documentary was akin to watching the movie adaptation of this book of short stories. You had the one about California Business Machines, you had the evangelista who is similar to the woman who types poems on command.

Anyway, it's a fine collection and great if you enjoy old typewriters and if you like Tom Hanks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uncommon Type.

April 2, 2018 – Started Reading