Amy's Reviews > As She Fades

As She Fades by Abbi Glines

liked it

I'm going to start with what I liked about this book: Slate Allen. He is multi-faceted, well-developed, and captivating. You will be far more worried about what becomes of Slate than you will about what becomes of Vale and Crawford. I liked how Abbi Glines wrote him, and I liked the way she showed his growth and maturity. He is fabulous.

I liked the plot twist. I thought it made the book more interesting, and I looked forward to what Glines would do with it.

Now let's get to some of the problems.

For one thing, there is a GLARING misstatement in the blurb. I won't tell you what it is because it would give away too much, but suffice it to say that there is a GLARING misstatement. I'm shocked by it, in fact.

Then there is the plot twist, which is wasted and reveals weaknesses in the story. The resolution after the twist is way too easy, way too convenient. So much so that you feel cheated somehow. You also realize just how undeveloped Crawford and his relationship with Vale are. You need more of their backstory. So in absence of that, you're left not really caring about some things that I think you're supposed to care about.

Everything up to and including the plot twist is pretty good and enjoyable. Everything after the plot twist feels weak in comparison.

A word about the YA/teen categorization of this book: I caution parents of young teen girls. There are a couple of sex scenes that may be too graphic for your daughter, so use your judgment. I categorized this book as new adult because I think it's a better fit there.

If you give this a read--and I think you should because Slate is pretty darn awesome--hit up the comments and let me know your thoughts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As She Fades.

Started Reading
April 2, 2018 – Shelved
April 2, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Good review, Amy!

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Diane wrote: "Good review, Amy!"

Thank you!