msleighm's Reviews > This is How I Save My Life: A True Story of Finding Everything When You are Willing to Try Anything

This is How I Save My Life by Amy B. Scher

bookshelves: lyme-books, giveaway, first-reads, own, auto-biography, health-and-diet

5 stars.

Thank you to GoodReads, the author Amy B. Scher, and @Gallery Books / Simon & Schuster for this Advanced Readers Copy to review.

Over the years, several people have told me I should write about my journey with Lyme disease and chronic illness. Now I don't need to, Amy Scher has told a story that mirrors mine, except I'm hoping to try stem cell therapy in the next year or two; it's something I've been researching since I was first disabled in 2009. Almost ten years later, I'm almost ready to try it, and this book comes out. Synchronicity.

What she writes could be a page out of my life (pg 163):
"I could never do what you are doing."
Honestly, I'm no superhero. You could totally rock this too, if you had to. In fact, we could all do anything if we absolutely had to. I once thought I could never do what I'm doing either, except for now I don't have a choice and that's exactly how I'm doing it in the first place. Some nights when I go to bed, I think to myself 'I cannot do this, not for one more day.' Eventually I fall asleep...and then...I wake up with a life that is just waiting for me to wade through all over again. You do it because even when -- especially when -- you think you can't you're somehow still making it happen. And you do it every minute of every day -- no breaks allowed -- because if you don't every single thing that you've barely been holding on to might fall apart too."

The writing in this book is outstanding. The honesty is heart wrenching.

I'm done, because I don't have the energy to type any longer.

If you're chronically ill, or know someone who is chronically ill, you should read this book. If you have Lyme disease, this is a must.

4/11-23/18

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This is How I Save My Life.

March 5, 2014 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
March 5, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
March 5, 2014 – Shelved as: star (Paperback Edition)
March 5, 2014 – Shelved as: want-to-get (Paperback Edition)
April 1, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read-bookshelf (Paperback Edition)
April 1, 2018 – Shelved as: giveaway (Paperback Edition)
April 1, 2018 – Shelved as: first-reads (Paperback Edition)
April 1, 2018 – Shelved as: lyme-books (Paperback Edition)
April 1, 2018 – Shelved as: health-and-diet (Paperback Edition)
April 1, 2018 – Shelved as: own (Paperback Edition)
April 1, 2018 – Shelved