Liza Wiemer's Reviews > A Monster Calls

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

3152001

STOP.
Seriously, don't read any further if you don't want to know my reaction to this novel.
Because this book will grab your mind, body, heart, and soul.
Okay, I warned you.

A Monster Calls SHOULD be read in one sitting. It's so powerful, so painful that it feels like a gaping wound right where your heart is. I only read one review on Goodreads and I knew I had to pick up this book. The author of that review said she cried and cried. I braced myself.
I picked up this book knowing that it would tear at my heart, make me think. About life. About death. It's a book about holding on and letting go. It's about control and losing control. It's about lies and truths. As I said, I braced myself. Only once did I get misty-eyed. I didn't want to cry. But when I finished the last page I paced my living room floor. Dry-eyed. A book like this MUST impact the reader in some way because seriously if it doesn't, I truly would wonder if stone exists in place of a heart. But the real question is what do you DO with a book like this?
I say gobble it up. Take it in. Hold it close. Then. Let. It. Go. Live life with meaning and purpose. Be kind to others. Be kind to yourself. Work on letting go of old hurts. Turn your dreams into action. Don't just talk. DO! Because all we really have to hold onto is what we do in the here and now. I realize it's not an easy way to live all the time. But this book reminds us that life is precious. We can't waste it. That WE are responsible for finding meaning to our own lives and making something special out of it.
That's how I see it. I did warn you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Monster Calls.

Started Reading
November 12, 2011 – Shelved
November 12, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Wendy Darling But this book reminds us that life is precious. We can't waste it. That WE are responsible for finding meaning to our own lives and making something special out of it.

That's just lovely. :)

message 2: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Kaplan I don't usually read YA, but now I want to read this.

message 3: by Liza (last edited Nov 12, 2011 09:02PM) (new) - added it

Liza Wiemer Wendy, I appreciate your comment! :D This is a very special novel.
And thanks Betsy. Hope you enjoy it.

Wendy Darling I loved this one, too, and I agree--a very special novel.

Kristine Hansen Your review has impacted me almost as much as the book has. Thank you.

message 6: by Liza (new) - added it

Liza Wiemer Kristine wrote: "Your review has impacted me almost as much as the book has. Thank you."

That's one of the nicest things that anyone has ever said! thanks, Kristine! xx