Michael's Reviews > Breakfast at Tiffany's

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote

bookshelves: 2018, favorites

The most famous of Capote's novels, Breakfast at Tiffany’s charms the reader with wit and a lively storyline. Its subject is the short-lived friendship between a straight woman and a gay man living in New York during the early '40s, its theme the yearning for deep connection and a sense of belonging. In spite of Capote's ethereal prose and dazzling imagery, an excruciating sadness suffuses the novella: none of the self-destructive characters find what they long for by the end, and it seems unlikely that they ever will. What on the surface appears to be a wistful bit of fluff, then, is in fact far more sorrowful and complex.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breakfast at Tiffany's.

April 1, 2018 – Shelved
April 1, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
May 8, 2018 – Started Reading
May 10, 2018 – Shelved as: favorites
May 10, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
May 10, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Greg (new) - added it

Greg Micheal, I'm fast running out of Capote's works and he is one of my favorite authors. I'm sorta saving it for a rainy day.

Melissa Great review, Michael! I'll have to check out some of Capote's other work.

Michael Thanks, Melissa! I’m just getting into his work myself, but haven’t been disappointed yet. Currently reading Other Voices, Other Rooms, which might be worth checking out if you enjoy Southern Gothic writing.

Michael That seems like a good plan, Greg - the novel’s so short and fast paced that it can be finished in a few hours

Vanessa Great review! I think so many people remember this novella as being happier than it really was due to the movie.

Does this version have the short story "A Christmas Memory" in the back? That is my favorite short story of all time, but it breaks me.

Michael Thanks, Vanessa! I think you're definitely right: the movie's so upbeat and famous that it seems like it'd be easy for people to misremember the book. The edition I have (ISBN: 0812994361) I picked up at a used bookstore, and it just has this and Other Voices, Other Rooms in it. I'll have to check out that story sometime!

message 7: by Greg (new) - added it

Greg Michael wrote: "Thanks, Vanessa! I think you're definitely right: the movie's so upbeat and famous that it seems like it'd be easy for people to misremember the book. The edition I have (ISBN: 0812994361) I picked..."

Other Voices, Other Rooms very good. Imaginative and yes, about as good as Southern Gothic gets (Along with "Heart is a Lonely Hunter" by McCullers.)

message 8: by Greg (new) - added it

Greg Vanessa wrote: "Great review! I think so many people remember this novella as being happier than it really was due to the movie.

I ran across a copy of "Christmas Memory" in a flea market. It was beautifully bound and signed and priced at $100 and If I had known of anyone I was buying gifts for and would have appreciated it I would have bought it as a gift. But at the time, my personal wants were not in my budget. Still, I wish I had bought it anyway.

message 9: by Canadian (new)

Canadian What a lovely review!

Michael Thanks, Canadian!

message 11: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Pinckney Nicely done Michael.

Michael Thanks so much, Tim! Hope your weekend’s been well :)

message 13: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue K H I love this little book so much. I'm glad you loved it too.

message 14: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa One of my faves💕

message 15: by Mr. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mr. where have you read that the narrator was gay?