Melanie's Reviews > Holy Sister

Holy Sister by Mark  Lawrence

bookshelves: fantasy, magic, arc, read-in-2019, demons, lgbtqiap

ARC given to me by my amazingly kind friend - Alexa at Alexa Loves Books!

“When they put us in that cage we never really came out of it again.”

Good Lord, Mark Lawrence has truly created a once in a lifetime series that I will cherish forever. Holy Sister is the third and final book in a series that will go down in history as one of the brightest shining lights in SFF history.

I very much implore you to read Bound after Grey Sister, but before Holy Sister because it really works as a much-needed bridge short story. This book is told in two timeless; one, after the events of Grey Sister, and then three years later. But the interchanging of these two timelines, both in Nona’s perspective, was truly the perfect way to craft this tale.

This series is all about a girl named Nona who we get to see grow up, but we meet her during her childhood when she hasn’t had the easiest of lives, and is currently in the gallows for attempted murder, but is saved and taken to a convent of nuns who all are able to harness magical abilities, and we quickly learn that Nona has some magical abilities herself. Yet now, in this last book, this convent, Sweet Mercy, and all the characters we have grown to love, have threats surrounding them and all their lives are on the line.

My favorite part of this book? I have truly fallen in love with these magical assassin nuns and I’m honestly prepared to die for any and all of them. Truly, the found family in this book is just unparalleled by anything else. From the bonds of sisters, to the bonds of lovers, to the bonds of just women loving and accepting each other, regardless of the paths you have walked or are currently walking in life. All the side characters are some of the greatest of all time, but Apple and Kettle will never leave me or my heart. And Glass will forever and always be my queen.

But Mark Lawrence truly gave me everything I wanted when he crafted Nona, and in this book especially when he made Nona attracted to multiple genders, most likely bisexual. But Nona is a pan goddess in my eyes, and no one can change my mind on this. Also, she will go down as one of my favorite characters of all-time. She’s come far, from learning that the word brave does mean to be strong, but it also means to be vulnerable and willing to let people in. Seeing her grow, with this group of girls, but also by herself, while being shaped by this cruel and unforgiving world, filled with even more cruel and unforgiving circumstances; it’s so beautiful I don’t even have words for it.

“The fight matters. But in the end it is never truly won or lost, and victory lies in discovering that we are bigger than it is.”

Watching Nona become the woman she is, and watching her walk this path, all the paths, I don’t even have words for it. I think this entire series is going to stand the test of time and go down as one of the best fantasies ever written. The story is just perfection, the characters are my favorite, the writing is so smart and so beautiful, the themes are life changing, and the entire story is completely unforgettable. If you haven’t picked up Red Sister yet, I’m begging you to give it a try. This trilogy is truly a masterpiece.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

The quotes above were taken from an ARC and are subject to change upon publication.

Content and trigger warnings loss of a loved one, queer characters do die (most characters in this are/seem queer, so I don’t think it’s a bury your gays trope, but use caution still), violence, gore, torture, human trafficking, kidnapping, and war themes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holy Sister.

March 31, 2018 – Shelved
March 29, 2019 – Started Reading
March 31, 2019 – Finished Reading
April 8, 2019 – Shelved as: demons
April 8, 2019 – Shelved as: lgbtqiap

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

agatha farias da costa i love books

message 2: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria I'm really jealous! I requested this book, but my request is still pending. I fear the worst! Of course, I still need to read books 2 and 2.5!

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary S. R. #ENVIOUS

message 4: by Aoife (new)

Aoife Now that this series is completed I cannot wait to snap it up and binge read, I have heard nothing but the best things about it - and honestly assassin nuns?! Sold!

Melanie agatha farias da costa wrote: "i love books"

big mood, Agatha! 💖xx

Melanie Maria wrote: "I'm really jealous! I requested this book, but my request is still pending. I fear the worst! Of course, I still need to read books 2 and 2.5!"

I hope you love it, sweetheart! 💖xx

Melanie Mary wrote: "#ENVIOUS"

I can't wait to see you love this one, love! 💖xx

Melanie Aoife wrote: "Now that this series is completed I cannot wait to snap it up and binge read, I have heard nothing but the best things about it - and honestly assassin nuns?! Sold!"

My heart! I hope you LOVE this one, sweetheart! Happy reading! 💖xx

Nikki I love that cover! Much better than the one on my version :o)

Willow Kovalo I JUST FINISHED AND I HAVE SO MANY FEEEEEELINGSSSSS

Bi 👏Icon👏Nona👏Grey👏

Apple + Kettle 5ever 😭😭😭(I am ruined)

“I never left it” 102 YEAR OLD SISTER PAN with the GREATEST MIC DROP OF ALL TIMEEEEEE

These fuckin nuns y’all I am deceased. God damn this series was so GOOD

Melanie Nikki wrote: "I love that cover! Much better than the one on my version :o)"

Hehehe, the US ones are my fave, too! 💖xx

Melanie Willow wrote: "I JUST FINISHED AND I HAVE SO MANY FEEEEEELINGSSSSS..."

This comment added ten years to my lifespan and I am thanking you. Also, big mood to everything you said. 💖xx

message 13: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (chelseadolling reads) Am I really about to read this fantasy series? Fuck I guess

message 14: by Denise (new) - added it

Denise Matthews Thank you for your wonderful book reviews and enthusiasm. You are inspiring me to read more. I'm loving the Ancestry series half way through The Grey Sister