Regina's Reviews > Frost Burned

Frost Burned by Patricia Briggs

Want to win a copy of Frost Burned? Want to read an interview with Patricia Briggs?!! Then click here! Check out this review and others like it at BadAssBookReviews

Beyond typing “I loved it. I loved it. OMG I loved it.” over and over again, it is hard to write a coherent review. Why? Because I loved this book so much. It was an emotional and a fun experience reading it. I feel like I lived another life through the pages of this book!

Patricia Briggs’s talent seems to increase with every book that she writes. Frost Burned brings a heightened level of complexity and character development to the Mercy world — in the same manner that Fair Game did for the Alpha & Omega world. Like the other Mercy novels, there is danger and Mercy is engaged in figuring out the source of danger. What I like about how Mercy traces down the danger is that she does it in a rational way. She does take chances, but only if she has to. She really doesn’t want to be reckless. And Mercy’s actions make sense. I can see her living a real life off the pages of these books, fixing cars and giving Adam heck. The cast of characters that are involved in Frost Burned is large, but in my opinion it was manageable and oh so satisfying to see “everyone”. Frost Burned feels longer than previous Mercy books and is very meaty. This book is worth reading and buying now.

The monsters are freaking scary and yes this includes the werewolves. Briggs’s stories are engaging because they are not simplistic. She does this by writing horrifying creatures that remind me of what I was afraid of when I was younger and alone in the dark. Vampires are not sexy — well they may be sexy, but only in a terrifying way. Werewolves’ protective nature may be admirable, but it gets in the way of modern life and puts others in the vicinity of a protective werewolf in danger. And then we have the Fae. For those readers that read Fair Game, then you know that the stakes have been upped and the world is suddenly a much more dangerous place for supernaturals. In the midst of all this there is Mercy and Adam. Their humor, banter and flirting shine through the pages and as does their love for each other. Thankfully, their bond is stronger than ever ..

Kyle blinked. “You can talk to Adam when he’s not in the room, and you don’t have a phone?”

Frost Burned gives readers several chapters from Adam’s point of view. These advance the story line and give good insight into why Adam does what he does. But also, (for me anyway) reading Adam’s point of view solidifies that he there is NO doubt that Adam is my favorite werewolf. I live to read when he is frustrated with Mercy and yells, “Mercy!”

I gotta say that I love what being an alpha and submissive means to Briggs. Alpha is not just to push people around and to dominate. Alpha is to protect and care for others. As Briggs writes, having a submissive werewolf in a pack is a gift because it breaks the tension and gives the alphas something to focus on and protect. I love this concept, it is so beautiful.

Frost Burned is funny (lots of really good humor) and sweet; it moves the Mercy world forward. Fans of Mercy and Patricia Briggs will not be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frost Burned.

November 12, 2011 – Shelved
November 12, 2011 – Shelved as: favorite-authors
November 12, 2011 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy-uf
February 24, 2013 – Started Reading
February 24, 2013 – Shelved as: arc-publisher-netgalley-edelweiss
page 72
page 95
page 114
33.33% "Kyle blinked. "You can talk to Adam when he's not in the room, and you don't have a phone?""
page 127
37.13% ""I believe I misheard, did you say 'a vampire friend'?""
February 25, 2013 – Finished Reading
February 26, 2013 – Shelved as: favorite-series
February 26, 2013 – Shelved as: favorites

Carina Awesome!!!

Leea Yay!!

Theresa Gosh, it's been a while!

Lisa It's about time! :D

Regina Yeah, only about 7 months and a few weeks!

Sandra SO excited!

Regina I know!!

Lisa YAY! Love the cover also.

Vivian There's a cover and a date!! Exciting but it's still so far away...

message 10: by Leea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leea Great cover - just like Mercedes!

SheLove2Read That cover nails it!

Regina I love the cover. :)

message 13: by Leea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leea I cannot wait!!

SheLove2Read Holy cow - I cannot wait. That blurb is freakin' awesome.

Regina I know! I am afraid to read the first chapter though, I am forcing myself to stay away. I think I will listen to the audio of Fair Game (Alpha & Omega, #3) by Patricia Briggs right before Frost Burned comes out.

Brittany So excited for that release - but I absolutely cannot read the first chapter. It'll make the wait that much worse. Still, good to know it's out - makes the release feel a little closer!

Regina I agree Brittany!!

Regina I cannot wait to see what she does with the changes that happened at the end of Fair Game.

Anjali March 7th is around the corner!

message 20: by D.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.G. Ooooh! Can't wait!

Carina How Reg? HOW??

Sandra How do you always get these first?!?!

Vivian Totally envious that you've read it already! I'm so ready for more Mercy :)

Regina Ace/Penguing sent me a copy. It is beautiful in hardcover. This book is so good. So. Damned. Good. Lots of Mercy and Adam -- together and by themselves! And then a wonderful cross-over character from Alpha & Omega and some Stefan, Kyle, Jesse, Gabriel, Zee, Tad and ....

Sandra EEk, I need to get caught up on my Alpha & Omega!

Regina Oh yes! Where are you in the series? The end of Fair Game is crucial for Frost Burned.

Sandra I was waiting until this last one went to paperback to snatch it. It probably is by now I just need to go get it!

Regina Oh yes! And it is the best in the A&O series, maybe better than River Marked. The audio is darned good too.

message 29: by D.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.G. Is it Friday yet?

Regina LOL. I just checked tracking and it just only today left the suburbs of Chicago! Hopefully it gets there tomorrow ..... I suggest taking a day off of work. :D

message 31: by D.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.G. I'm thinking about it!!!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Was it awesome Regina?! I can't wait to read this

Carina 5 stars? 5 STARS???
Awesome! I wasn't expecting anything less ;)

Regina I may be less biased than other reviewers/readers. I just love Mecy so much.

Carina Pff, then me and you both, haha!

Regina Haha, I know that for sure! You will love this.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I am always bias with series I love! I can't help it, if I love a series (like BDB, Kate Daniels) it is very likely that every single book will get 5 stars unless something goes horribly wrong!

message 38: by D.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.G. Regina wrote: "LOL. I just checked tracking and it just only today left the suburbs of Chicago! Hopefully it gets there tomorrow ..... I suggest taking a day off of work. :D"

It was out for delivery this morning! Will it there when I get home?

OMG! I can't wait!!

Regina yesyes! I can't wait to see your thoughts. Will you be okay to do a group review on the blog for release day?

message 40: by D.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.G. If I get it today or tomorrow, definitely.

message 41: by D.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

D.G. I have it! I have it! Definitely starting tomorrow.

Regina Yay for the USPS!!

message 43: by Zeek (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeek Mine should be here today! WOOT WOOT

Carina I want a copy =(
I'll probably get my kindle copy tonight but will start it tomorrow. I am so giddy with excitement!

Regina Zeek and Carina -- you will not be dissapointed!

Meghan Doidge My pre-order arrived last night!! If only I didn't have my own writing on a deadline right now!! Nooooo!!!! Soon my precious, soon.

Regina The wait will make it better. :D

Lura (The Life of Serendipity) ...Its not suppose to come out until March 7th? My local walmart had it and I just bought it.

Regina It was released today. :) hope you enjoy it!

message 50: by Leea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leea Just got it... Now I need to figure out when I can read it. haha!

« previous 1