Apey's Reviews > The Silver Kiss

The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause

U 50x66
Nov 12, 2011

did not like it

This book stumbles between two very different plot lines. First there is the very real and sympathetic story of a young girl dealing with her mother's impending death by cancer. Then there is the completely fantastic good verse bad vampire story. Throughout the book I kept looking for the point where they would come together, but it never happened. Even the ending felt hollow.

As for romance, there wasn't really any to be found. The characters kissed but there was no real relationship. It felt as though they were thrown into the same room, learned each other's sad stories, and decided to kiss on a whim.

(Spoilers Below)

I've seen reference to this being better than such books as Twilight. Instead The Silver Kiss is a truncated version. In fact I wondered as I read if Stephenie Meyer had at one point read this book and subconsciously lengthened and stretched it into Twilight, greatly improving upon the theme. Sad and lonely girl meets vampire, they kiss, fight off a bad vampire, then everything is mystically resolved. This version is so short I felt little to no emotion at Simon leaving in the end. I never felt any real connection between Simon and Zoe so there was nothing to lose. My only response was "That's it?" and felt cheated out of what could have been a fun book. At least in Twilight there is an emotional connection between Bella and Edward and it sticks to that plot rather than tangle two very different stories together.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silver Kiss.