Jian Barazi's Reviews > Animal's People

Animal's People by Indra Sinha

U 50x66
Nov 12, 2011

it was ok

In the book "Animal's People" it tells the tale of a young boy who has been deformed due to a nearby chemical factory disposing of their waste improperly. The boy doesn't speak English, so a journalist went, had him explain his life day by day into a tape recorder and the journalist then wrote it up.
This story is all based on true life experiences. The boy who is called Animal by everyone and himself lives in the poverty stricken city of Khaufpur. He lives with a crazy old nun named Ma Francis and is forced to walk on all fours due to his horrible deformation.
This book is a real eye-opener to the horrors that go on around the world that none of us know about. Personally, I didn't like it as I don't enjoy such books, but this one really made me think about the problems around the world and that the things we see aren't the only problems out there. It also makes one think about the importance of regulations on how corporations dispose of their waste. I would not exactly recommend this book as I did not enjoy it much, but for anyone who wants to be exposed to such problems or likes these kinds of books, say go for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animal's People.

message 1: by Francois (new) - added it

Francois Jabbour Wow! What a coincidence! I recommended this book to you! It wasn't that great, I'll agree with Jian, the fact that it was about a poor crippled Indian kid. The writing style was very well done though, it was if the kid himself had written the book, what with all the broken english (jarnalis, inglis etc)
But honestly, of all the books I've read by Indian authors this has to be the best, and it's not really that good though.