Michael Ferro's Reviews > Dept. of Speculation

Dept. of Speculation by Jenny Offill

Read 2 times. Last read March 31, 2018 to April 11, 2018.

Jenny Offill's DEPT. OF SPECULATION is a smorgasbord of delightfully mindful appetizers that all come together as one infinitely satisfying meal. At times hilarious, other times sad, though sometimes both, this slim novel defies much of the trope stylings of a modern doomed marriage story, instead providing the reader with an endless supply of little food for thought nuggets of wisdom and whimsey mixed among the narrative of a marriage crumbling before our eyes.

Offill has weaved plenty of speculation into the plot here, which offers rich passages of "deeper reading" for those who don't mind constantly pausing while reading in order to ponder an uncanny musing or strange turn of phrase (and I for one don't mind it at all). In the end, DEPT. OF SPECULATION is a book about life and wonder, about bitter disappointment and the realities of life that often get lost in the minutia, and those who read it will likely find themselves highlighting plenty of sections to come back to and think upon during a dreary, rainy day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dept. of Speculation.

Finished Reading
March 31, 2018 – Started Reading
March 31, 2018 – Shelved
April 11, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Nicole Beaudry I really enjoyed this one, too!

Michael Ferro Nicole wrote: "I really enjoyed this one, too!"

Indeed! It was a perfect little book of interesting oddities and enlightening melancholy.