Jon's Reviews > Flash O'Lantern: 13+ Stories

Flash O'Lantern by Todd Russell

Nov 12, 2011

Recommended for: Everyone who likes short stories, fantasy and horrow

If you loved sitting around a campfire, as a kid, and spinning quick yarns to scare the 'bejeezus' out of your friends, then you'll really enjoy Flash O'Lantern: 13+ Stories , a collection of flash fiction tales by horror writer/novelist Todd Russell.

Flash O'Lantern presents 13 Flash horror stories interspersed with Russell's own thematically-related commentaries about memorable October events and trivia. The stories deliver quick, light, entertaining reads, and the commentaries provide plenty of great water-cooler conversational grist. Together they make Flash O'Lantern particularly good reading for people on the go. Here are my four favorite flash fiction offerings from the book:

Brush is the creepy story of a homeless guy who, let's say, bites off more than he can chew, when he hijacks a kid's Halloween goody bag. ( I think the National Dental Association should purchase reprint rights to this one and distribute them in dental offices nationwide.)
Graveyard Crazies offers a fun, yet spooky, take on working the mid-night (graveyard) shift in a supermarket. (Great atmospherics, and some well-done tension-relieving humor.)
Remdee Gate won me over immediately with the imaginative concept of the gate itself – an altogether new idea that I've never come across before in sci-fi/horror fantasy writing.
And finally, I found Rachel's Number to be a quick, but haunting, story.

Todd is currently offering Flash O'Lanterns: 13+ Stories for FREE at Smashwords http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/... . I'd quickly grab a copy before his mercenary tendencies take over!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flash O'Lantern.