Dark Faerie Tales's Reviews > One Grave at a Time

One Grave at a Time by Jeaniene Frost

Nov 12, 2011

bookshelves: reviewed-by-kristie

Review Courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Fans of Cat and Bones will enjoy this latest installment in the Night Huntress series. A major antagonist is introduced and he turns Cats world on edge. Favorite minor characters are nowhere to be found.

First Line: “Donald Bartholomew Williams, get your ass back here now!”

The Review:

One Grave at a Time continues the journey of Cat and her vampire lover Bones. The sixth installment picks up less than two months after the events of This Side of the Grave. Cat’s Uncle Don is now dead but much to Cat and Don’s horror, Don is now a restless ghost. The main storyline follows Cat and Bones when Fabian, Cat’s resident ghost, introduces her to Elisabeth, a ghost who was killed centuries ago by a witch hunter, Heinrich Kramer. Elisabeth has been following Heinrich over the years and was disturbed to know that his sexist, witch hunting ways never stopped. Every year on All Hallows Eve he “tortures” and burns three women he claims are witches. Now that Cat knows his dirty story, she is determined to stop him. Cat enlists the help of a medium, Tyler, to summon Heinrich so she can confront him about his crimes. Unfortunately, Heinrich is more powerful than he seems. Heinrich is a true poltergeist, he can throw and destroy objects but he cannot be touched. Now that Cat has got his attention he is determined that Cat is a witch and must be one of his next victims. Cat must come up with a plan that will trap his ghost forever, with the help of Spade, Denise, Ian, and Tyler, a group of ghost hunters, and of course Bones, Cat has only a limited time before Heinrich kills again.

Cat not only has to contend with a killer ghost but since her uncles’ death there have been some changes at the secret Homeland Security/Task Force that she used to work for. Jason Madigan has taken over as the teams’ operations consultant, and he has some nasty words for Cat. He absolutely cannot stand her and as a result interrupts her mission at crucial times. Ghostly Uncle Don knows Madigan from when he was alive and chooses to follow him for intel, but he refuses to tell Cat what he knows about Madigan. Madigan is very shady and seems to know more than he should about the supernatural world.

The story is pretty solid and action packed, but it did feel like there wasn’t much time for Cat and Bones signature romantic heat, which prevails in the other books of the series. This book definitely had more of an urban fantasy feel to it. I have only two complaints about One Grave at a Time. First, the ending seemed somewhat abrupt. The witch hunter storyline ended well but I felt there should have been more depth with respect to Madigan. There are too many questions that remain unanswered. I guess I’ll have to wait until the next book for some answers. My other complaint is that there was no Vlad or Mencheres. I have really come to enjoy those characters even though they are minor in this series.

I enjoy Jeaniene Frost’s characters and Tyler was no exception, even though I did keep picturing him as Lafayette from True Blood because of his mannerisms and his funny one liners. I absolutely hated Madigan, which for a bad guy is good, because if I didn’t feel anything then he is not that great of a villain. In the end, I still enjoy Jeaniene Frost’s writing style and cannot wait until Once Burned (Vlad’s story!!), which is the next book in the Night Huntress series. As of right now there are nine books planned for the Night Huntress series, not including the spinoff books.

Notable Scene:

He cupped my face when I drew back, staring into my eyes while he dropped his shields and let his aura flood over me, twining into my emotions until I couldn’t tell where my feelings ended and his began. From the frustration, love, lust, and worry pouring off him, I guessed that he wanted to make love to me until neither of us could think . . . and then tie me up and pile heavy boulders on me until after the sun rose. The intensity in all those feelings told me that the absolute last thing he wanted to do was what he did next.

The Night Huntress Series:

1. Halfway to the Grave

2. One Foot in the Grave

3. At Grave’s End

4. Destined for an Early Grave

5. This Side of the Grave

6. One Grave at a Time

FTC Advisory: HarperCollins/Avon provided me with a copy of One Grave at a Time. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Grave at a Time.