Kelli's Reviews > An American Marriage

An American Marriage by Tayari Jones

bookshelves: audio

Nothing is ever over.

This was beautiful. This was a slow roil. A story told with realistic dialogue. A story littered with metaphors. A story sprinkled with wisdom.

I listened to the audio and it was sublime...so gorgeous were the cadence and rhythm that I was often mesmerized, wrapped up in the story and swept away by what felt like a foreign language and a different culture. Highly recommend. 4.75 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An American Marriage.

March 30, 2018 – Started Reading
March 30, 2018 – Shelved
March 30, 2018 – Shelved as: audio
April 1, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)

message 1: by Negin (new)

Negin Adding it to my list. Thank you, Kelli!

JanB Great review Kelli. I'm wishing I had this on audio now instead of my HB! 😊

Kelli Jan, This is on Hoopla.
Negin, I think you will love it.

JanB Thanks Kelli, maybe I’ll do a combo read/listen then!

message 5: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Lovely review, Kelli! :)

Kelli Thank you! Keeping it brief bc there are so many reviews of this.

Linda So glad that you enjoyed this one, Kelli. Still waiting for this one from the library. Anxious to read after your review. :)

message 8: by Candi (new) - added it

Candi Terrific, Kelli! I'm really excited to read this one after reading your review!

message 9: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen I wonder if would be applicable to a Canadian marriage.... hmmm

Kelli I didn’t like the title.

Kelli Thank you :)

message 12: by Dana (new)

Dana So happy to see your review and high praise for the audio! I have it, so I am really looking forward to it now!

Susanne  Strong Wonderful review Kelli! Glad you loved it!

Cathrine ☯️ I think it's been a while since you were this happy with a book. Yay!

Dianne Great review, Kelli! I have this now from the library; you've made me excited to start it.

message 16: by Renata (new)

Renata Excited to read your high praise! Glad there is dialogue. My book group will be reading it soon and LOL - we are a divided group on the ones who love great dialogue and the ones who love the poetry of language in metaphors etc. looks like everyone should be happy!

Taryn Great review! I couldn't put this book down!

Cheri Marvelous review, Kelli, I'm so excited to read this now after reading your thoughts on this. It's in my 'hold' queue at the library so I hope to get a copy soon-ish.

Melanie Excellent review Kelli! 5 stars! Can't wait to read this.

message 20: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Great review Kelli!

message 21: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Great great great review Kelli! I love a good audio rec, also. Thanks <3

Jeannie Nice review, I want to read this one!

message 23: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly  B Glad you enjoyed Kelli!

Thomas So glad you enjoyed this one, looking forward to it!

Barbara Wasn't it amazing? I didn't listen to the audio, but with the right voice, I can see your love. Great review.

Debbie I am halfway through this book and I am now hoping your title isn't a spoiler.

Antonia Glad to hear how much you liked it. I heard an interview with Tayari Jones and she was delightful. I figured I'd like the book.

Tania Thanks for the audible recommendation - definitely 5 stars.

PorshaJo Yeah! Glad you loved the audio. One of the better narrations I think.

Jennifer A I listened to the audiobook too. The readings were outstanding, and I was absolutely riveted from page 1!