Julie 's Reviews > The Banker’s Wife

The Banker’s Wife by Cristina Alger

bookshelves: e-book, edelweiss-review, thrillers, suspense, 2018

The Banker’s Wife by Christina Alger is a 2018 G.P. Putnam’s Sons publication.

Annabelle and Matthew move to Geneva hoping for not only a great career opportunity for Matthew, but a change of scenery after suffering some hard losses.

But, when Annabelle is informed that Matthew has been killed in a plane crash, she’s not just devastated, she’s shocked to learn the details of the crash. Desperately needing to make sense of her husband’s actions and his death, Annabelle begins to research Matthew’s working life, while his colleagues attempt to ‘handle’ her. It’s hard to know who to trust, how to know who the bad guys are. But, if Annabelle isn’t careful, she could become collateral damage.

Meanwhile, Marina Tourneau, a reporter who is about to marry into a powerful New York family, is given the chance to work on one last story by her long -time mentor, Duncan. But, when Duncan is killed, she makes a shocking discovery which propels her to continue with the story, despite the obvious personal repercussions and the wishes of her fiancé.

What goes on in the powerful Swiss United Bank could draw the two women together, both hoping to protect the reputations of the men they love.

The whole time I was reading this book I kept thinking that it felt like a Mish -Mash between ‘The Pilot’s Wife’ and ‘The Firm’. If you’ll notice, both of those books are classics, which means that apparently, I can’t think of a more recent book to compare this one to. That’s not a good thing. There have been plenty of thrillers published in recent years, some of them solid, but none of them all that memorable, it seems. Maybe this book will give authors and publishers a wake -up call and inspire them to write and publish a higher caliber product.

End of lecture-

This is a very moody, atmospheric thriller which exposes the ease in which money is hidden in offshore banks and the criminal activity it shields in the process. But, don’t just think about tax evasion or money laundering. The crimes in this book are much bigger and terrifying than that. Think mob ties and cartels, Syrian and Russian leaders, and…. American monsters.

Annabelle is a naïve wife, enjoying the luxuries her husband’s new job affords them, but she’s also unhappy about his long hours, how she never sees him for any extended period of time, and his lovely young assistant, Zoe, who often travels with him.

But, after his death, Annabelle learns far more troubling aspects of Matthews job and his possible illegal activity.

While Annabelle feels like the most sympathetic figure, all alone against some very powerful men who may be considering her a liability, Marina is also a very compelling figure as well. She’s tougher, choosing a bolder approach with her enemies, but she’s also blindsided and equally stunned by the information she discovers. She’s the character that I ended up admiring above all others because her choices are conscious ones.

As with any thriller, there are times when we must suspend belief, but they are forgivable in light of such a smart, well- constructed novel. Some may feel the wrap up was a little too tidy, but others will prefer it that way. I was okay with it. It ended on a positive note and I even caught a hint of further adventures featuring a couple of our main characters. I’d be up for that too!

I’m impressed with this one. It is definitely a cut above, very clever, and absolutely chilling!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Banker’s Wife.

March 30, 2018 – Shelved
March 30, 2018 – Shelved as: suspense
June 19, 2018 – Started Reading
June 19, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
August 18, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)

Brandice Great review, Julie! I love The Firm and this one is on my TBR list :).

message 2: by Luvtoread (new)

Luvtoread Terrific review, Julie!

Julie Thank you, Brandice!! I hope you enjoy it!! 😊

Julie Luvtoread wrote: "Terrific review, Julie!"

Thank you, Luvtoread!! 😊

RedemptionDenied Excellent review, Julie!

Julie RedemptionDenied wrote: "Excellent review, Julie!"

Thank you, RD!! 😊

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen Nice review! Glad you enjoyed this one!

message 8: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Wonderful review, Julie!

message 9: by Paula (new)

Paula Superb review, Julie!

message 10: by Holly (new)

Holly  B (semi-hiatus until Jan) I added this one Julie! Sounds too good!

Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Terrific review Julie! Sounds great!

Julie Lindsay - Traveling Sister wrote: "Terrific review Julie! Sounds great!"

Thank you, Lindsay!! .😊

Julie Jen wrote: "Nice review! Glad you enjoyed this one!"

Thank you, Jen!! 😊

Julie Holly wrote: "I added this one Julie! Sounds too good!"

Thank you, Holly!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!! 😊

Julie Paula wrote: "Superb review, Julie!"

Thank you, Paula!! 😊

message 16: by Julie (last edited Aug 18, 2018 07:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Julie Maureen wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie!"

Thank you, Maureen!! 😊

message 17: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline Excellent review, Julie! Like you, I hope that the caliber of thrillers increases. Sometimes I wonder about the hidden treasures in a publisher's "slush file" and wish I could dive in there and rescue some that may not fit The Mold, but are outstanding anyway.

message 18: by KAS (new)

KAS Awesome review, Julie! Sure sounds like a unique read. Glad you were impressed ;) 😘

Julie Jaline wrote: "Excellent review, Julie! Like you, I hope that the caliber of thrillers increases. Sometimes I wonder about the hidden treasures in a publisher's "slush file" and wish I could dive in there and res..."

Thank you, Jaline!! I do too. Publishers are either lazy or too timid. No telling how many awesome stories they pass up in favor of mediocre material.

Julie KAS wrote: "Awesome review, Julie! Sure sounds like a unique read. Glad you were impressed ;) 😘"

Thank you, KAS!! 💕😊❤

Marialyce Lover your review and this book as well! 💕

message 22: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Sounds great Julie, wonderful review 😊

Julie Maureen wrote: "Sounds great Julie, wonderful review 😊"

Thank you, Maureen!! 😊

Julie Nicola wrote: "This sounds fantastic Julie! Glad you had a great read. 😊"

Thank you, Nicola!! 😊

Julie Marialyce wrote: "Lover your review and this book as well! 💕"

Thank you, Marialyce!! 😊

message 26: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Fab review Julie! Glad you enjoyed 😊

Julie Kendall wrote: "Fab review Julie! Glad you enjoyed 😊"
Thank you, Kendall!! 😊

message 28: by *TUDOR^QUEEN* (new)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Wonderful review! Glad you enjoyed it :-)

Julie *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "Wonderful review! Glad you enjoyed it :-)"

Thank you, TQ!! 😊

message 30: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Excellent review! I'm really looking forward to this one now :)

message 31: by Roland (new) - added it

Roland Clarke Tempted - again.

Victoria If I hadn't already placed this on the list, your five-star review surely would have! I quite liked the lecture too. 😏

JanB Great review Julie, I especially like your last paragraph. This was so well done, I was willing to overlook some of those elements. A fun read!

Julie Deanna wrote: "Excellent review! I'm really looking forward to this one now :)"

Enjoy!! 💖

Julie Victoria wrote: "If I hadn't already placed this on the list, your five-star review surely would have! I quite liked the lecture too. 😏"

Thank you, Victoria! I do tend to get a little preachy sometimes! 😊

Julie Roland wrote: "Tempted - again."

This is a good one, Roland! Give in to the temptation!! 😊

Julie JanB wrote: "Great review Julie, I especially like your last paragraph. This was so well done, I was willing to overlook some of those elements. A fun read!"

Thank you, Jan! I'm trying to keep reminding myself that fiction should be allowed a little more creative license. This one was worth overlooking the improbable. 😊

message 38: by Cherie (new)

Cherie I have never heard of this one. You made it sound so good. You have a special talent in writing reviews. I just placed a hold on it at my library, there is a 6 month wait. But, it sounds like something I will really enjoy, so I do not mind the long wait.

message 39: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie Terrific review, Julie! Glad you enjoyed it 💕

Julie Cherie wrote: "I have never heard of this one. You made it sound so good. You have a special talent in writing reviews. I just placed a hold on it at my library, there is a 6 month wait. But, it sounds like somet..."

Thank you, dear Cherie! This one is worth the wait, IMO. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!! 😊😊

Julie Mackenzie wrote: "Terrific review, Julie! Glad you enjoyed it 💕"

Thank you, Mackenzie!! 💖

message 42: by Lady Alexandrine (new)

Lady Alexandrine Great review Julie! It looks like an interesting read!

Julie Lady Alexandrine wrote: "Great review Julie! It looks like an interesting read!"

Thank you, Lady Alexandrine!! 💖

message 44: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Do you know the significance of the expensive frame Matthew gave with the painting "remember if anything happens to me it's the frame that's valuable". Never mentioned again except in robbery rubble. Any ideas? Thanks

Julie Anne wrote: "Do you know the significance of the expensive frame Matthew gave with the painting "remember if anything happens to me it's the frame that's valuable". Never mentioned again except in robbery rubbl..."

Yes, I remember. If you are using an e reader- spin ahead to around the 70% mark in the book. My copy is an ARC so it doesn't have page numbers. I don't want to explain here in the comment section due to spoilers.

message 46: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ansbro Another top-tier review, Julie!

message 47: by Sue (new)

Sue Not read all your review Julie as I have this to read. Eventually 😳 but I’m glad you liked it by the star ratings. 💓

message 48: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Excellent review Julie!!💖💓💋👍😉

Julie Kevin wrote: "Another top-tier review, Julie!"

Thank you, Kevin!! This was a really good one!! 😊

Julie Kat wrote: "Excellent review Julie!!💖💓💋👍😉"

Thank you, Kat!! 💕😊