Juli's Reviews > The Key to Every Thing

The Key to Every Thing by Pat Schmatz

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley-arcs

I would like to thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for my advanced copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

I gotta be honest, I was a bit lost. We sort of get thrown into the story without knowing much about the characters and really not finding out that much more throughout the book. That does seem like real life, it's not like we have this narrative about everyone we meet, but it makes for harder reading. It also makes it difficult to get emotionally invested in the protagonists. I wanted to love Captain Jackie - I mean, come on, she's an agoraphobe who lives with (made-up?) magical creatures like a dolphin-dragon and her best friend is an 11-year-old autophobe (Tash, Tasha, Kid - she has many names). I wanted to love Tash as she is stubborn, wild, and quirky, and has a lot of growing up to do.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the characters. I liked the story. I liked the themes. BUT I just couldn't make myself care. I do think that children may not need the backstories and reasons why characters are the way they are, so I bet they'd love the book - us adults have a much harder time suspending disbelief. So, all in all, to me, this is a fairly solid novel with important themes and I would recommend it to children and think middle-grade libraries should stock this book.

See my blog (spoilers possible!) here: https://ichleseblog.wordpress.com/201....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Key to Every Thing.

March 30, 2018 – Shelved