S.C. Barrus's Reviews > The Blade Itself

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie

A slow burn. That's what you're getting yourself into if you read The Blade Itself. Cleverly executed characters going about their daily lives while the threat of war looms in the background.

While the title and the cover design make this look like an action heavy novel strewn with violence, it really wasn't. There are some action scenes, and when they come they are fairly brutal, but the action is not the focus, thank God. I usually find myself bored when half the novel is descriptions of characters swinging swords and perrying and whatnot.

The Blade Itself felt more like a character focused hardboiled detective novel with a coming of age tournament arc and a travel log. The several different styles of story mashed together actually worked well.

We follow several disparate characters who's threads eventually intertwine. Logan the barbarian, Bayaz the magi, Luthar the soldier, and several others. Most are fleshed out and fully realized. You'll find yourself rooting for quite a few of them, even when they're at odds with one another.

No character is all sterling, and none are evil. They feel conflicted and their motivations feel compelling (though we don't always know what a characters motivations might be). But none are as compelling as one of the best characters I've read in a fantasy novel, Sand dan Glokta.

Glokta is a war hero now crippled by torture who's survived to become a torturer himself. Due to a series of discoveries, Glokta is promoted and empowered. He's charged with investigating merchants who've neglected to pay the kings taxes, and what follows is an engrossing detective story.

While we get to peer into several (but not all) characters minds, with Glokta we get full access. It reminds me of reading some of the best hardboiled novels, especially while Glokta says one thing and thinks quite another. In my mind, Glokta is the hero of this story, even if by appearances he is the least heroic of all the character types.

Despite his grisly job, I found myself so invested in Glokta, I was able to overlook some of the novels faults. But there are faults. Chapters following Logan's former band of warriors weren't that interesting. These characters, along with Ferro, felt like cookie cutter one dimensional fantasy fair. I think they were included to add extra action scenes, but because I never found myself invested in Dogman or Threetrees and especially not Ferro, when the action came I never really cared what the result was.

Picking on Ferro more, her chapters never felt consequential. She's a former slave who's seeking vengeance for what's been done to her people. She will remind you of that over and over again, often spouting the one liner, "Vengeance!" in case you're not clear on that point. The only purpose of her chapters is to get her from point A to point B. She inevitably arrives, and it's a big fat "so what?" If I were the editor here, I'd have fought strongly to have her cut entirely. But who knows, maybe she'll be important in the next book.

All that said, I never wanted to put the book down. Yes, it sometimes felt aimless, but I was so engrossed in the moment to moment storytelling that I didn't really care. I was compelled through the narrative, eagerly awaiting the next turn (or Glokta chapter). Yes, sometimes I had to read a Ferro chapter, and I found myself rolling my eyes, but they would end and the story became fantastic again.

So, despite it's weaknesses, I still give this novel a very high recommendation. It's one of those stories that feels like more than the some of its parts, and some of the characters were among the most compelling I've ever read in fantasy, even if others were not. If you read it, you'll enjoy it. I'm very much looking forward to the next entry in the series.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blade Itself.

Quotes S.C. Liked

Joe Abercrombie
“Every man has his excuses, and the more vile the man becomes, the more touching the story has to be. What is my story now, I wonder?”
joe abercrombie, The Blade Itself

March 30, 2018 – Started Reading
March 30, 2018 – Shelved
April 2, 2018 –
25.0% "Loving it. Perfect focus on characterization in the early chapters that I very much appreciate. Makes me more invested when we get to the plot stuff."
April 4, 2018 –
31.0% "I think I may have discovered a new favorite author. I mean, I'm only a third of the way through the first book of his I've read, but I really enjoy Joe Abercrombie's style."
April 8, 2018 –
45.0% "Logan is growing on me. He's no Glokta, but he's a great character. In fact, all of the characters are so well rounded, I can't sing this books praise high enough. I'm on a winning streak lately! Can't wait to ream more tomorrow."
April 19, 2018 –
72.0% "Just keeps getting better and better."
April 23, 2018 –
77.0% "Jezal is going to get a rude awakening some day. This is a man set up to fall, I'm sure of it."
April 24, 2018 –
81.0% ""I am just the doorman, not the architect.""
April 30, 2018 –
100.0% "A brooding end. A great read."
April 30, 2018 – Finished Reading