Shari's Reviews > Unnatural Law

Unnatural Law by Natasha Larry

Nov 11, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2011, ya-paranormal, best-of-2011, reviewed
Read from November 11 to 20, 2011

I am a huge fan of Natasha's book Darwin's Children, so I was super excited to read Unnatural Law. Natasha has really brought something totally new and exciting to the YA paranormal book scene. Yeah, there are vampires and even fairies, but not like any I've ever read about before.

Once again I was quickly drawn in to the character's lives. They are written in such a way that they seem very real. While I was reading Unnatural Law it felt more like I was hearing their voices in my head rather than just reading about them in a book. For me that is a huge deal because I really love reading books that are primarily character driven.

While Jaycie is struggling to learn control after her power surge a lot is going on in the lives of her family. Allison isn't feeling quite right, and doesn't really understand why. Haylee is learning more about her powers, and her family. Matt is learning that there is more to him than meets the eye, and dealing with not one but two protective "dads". While Mason and Johnny are trying to hold everything together in the midst of a weakening Dey-Vah guard.

Some of the highlights in Unnatural Law for me were meeting a few of the new characters, Sylvia Nash is probably my favorite new character. She is one of those women that you hope to get to know one day because you just know she will always make you laugh. Steven and Alonzo were both adorable and I'm hoping we will get to know them better in the next book. What I was really excited about as well was my favorite character from Darwin's Children returning. Matt! Oh how I love thee, and now I know why! I really enjoyed how Matt's character evolves in this book. I think Natasha nailed character development so completely. I feel like I know all these characters personally.

The writing is fast paced, easy to read, and witty as hell. The characters are lovable and their interactions are some of the best I've read. The heat between Matt and Jaycie is scorching hot (while remaining pretty innocent)! A book sure to be added to my favorites of 2011 list.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unnatural Law.

11/11/2011