julia's Reviews > What If It's Us

What If It's Us by Becky Albertalli

FULL REVIEW ON MY BLOG: HERE

"He laces our fingers and shrugs. And I’m dead. I am actually dead.
There’s no other way to explain it. I’m sitting in fucking Herald Square,
holding hands with the cutest boy I’ve ever met, and I’m dead.
I’m the deadest zombie ghost vampire who ever died.
And now my mouth isn’t working. It's like I'm stunned into silence.
That never happens."

Let me start by saying that I'm generally not a huge YA contemporary person. I don't usually connect with the characters anymore, having passed the high school age. However, I make exceptions for books that are hyped. The anticipation for this book was huge. Two authors (who are big names within the YA contemporary genre) teaming up to write a LGBTQ+ love story? I couldn't really pass that up, could I?

What is this book about?
What If It's Us centers around two boys, Arthur and Ben, who both live in New York City. Ben has just broken up with his ex-boyfriend and goes to take a box of his ex-bf's stuff out. Arthur has just moved to NYC for the summer only, and the two have a meet cute at the post-office.

They end up losing track of each other, so they end up social-media stalking each other to see if fate will bring them together again. That's basically the gist of the story, and about all I can say without going into the book too deeply and spoiling aspects of it.

"I barely know him. I guess that is every relationship.
You start with nothing and maybe end with everything."

What did I think about What If It's Us?
Firstly, I want to address the pacing of it. YA contemporaries are usually quick reads for me anyway, but I really like how quickly this book handled the meet-cute and the things after. It didn't take absolutely ages before the romance aspect of the book came to frutition and there wasn't a bunch of very unnecessary drama (or, let me say this differently, there was drama, but not the annoying kind).

The major thing I had issues with was the ending. I'm not a huge fan of endings like these, because I, as a reader, look for gratification. I felt like a lot of things were left unanswered and open, and it didn't really satisfy me as a reader.

This book, despite its ending, was really really cute. The characters were cute, the romance between these two boys (the authors also included ADHD and made one of them POC!) was delightful to read. I really enjoyed this quick YA read and I hope the authors will work on a potential sequel in the future!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What If It's Us.

March 29, 2018 – Shelved
March 29, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
November 5, 2018 – Started Reading
page 20
4.46% "i’m ready for the cute"
page 127