Juli's Reviews > The Stupendously Spectacular Spelling Bee

The Stupendously Spectacular Spelling Bee by Deborah Abela

bookshelves: netgalley-arcs, popsugar-2018

I would like to thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for my advanced copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

This book is, plainly speaking, a hoot. The Wimple family is made up of lovable characters. They adore each other and are thick as thieves. India enters the national spelling bee at the urging of her brother. The story is predictable. India does well at the bee, adventures are to be had, obstacles are to be overcome, and the family loves each other more than before. That is not what makes the book special.

What makes it special is the author's knack to introduce big words, difficult words, unusual words, and complicated words into her story all under the guise of the spelling bee but really to make learning new words fun. And herein lies that value of this book!

I think this book is a great example why reading matters! We need more of those! I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to broaden their horizon and learn many more interesting words. This book is well suited for kids up to early middle grade. I'd say older than that and the story itself won't be compelling enough anymore. I also think this book is fun for any parent to read to their child. I learned new words! I will definitely add this book to my niece's bookshelf.

See my blog (spoilers possible!) here: https://ichleseblog.wordpress.com/201....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stupendously Spectacular Spelling Bee.

March 29, 2018 – Started Reading