Laura/Mystery in Minutes 's Reviews > Resurrection Bay

Resurrection Bay by Emma Viskic

19061124
Visit https://www.mysteryinminutes.com/revi... to read the complete Mystery in Minutes review.
Confident and razor-sharp in its authenticity, Resurrection Bay is an extremely impressive debut that has won numerous awards. Talented Australian author Emma Viskic has crafted a pacy procedural that demands for readers to take notice. What sets this contemporary private eye novel uniquely apart is the portrayal of its central character, who, at around the age of five, and while only in primary school, lost his hearing after a bout of meningitis. Caleb Zelic, the chief investigator of the book, is deaf. Imagine, if you will, only being able to guess if someone is coming up behind you in the dark by sensing a change in the air, or by feeling vibrations in the floor. Imagine not knowing whether or not your adrenaline-fueled breathing is loud enough to reveal your hiding place. These are just two of the scenarios that create pulse-pounding tension within the novel.

There is a wonderful ebb and flow of thrilling suspense, as well as quieter exploration of human emotions and motivations. The reader glimpses three cultures in Resurrection Bay: that of its Caucasian , (probably) second generation Australian protagonist, that of the hearing impaired and deaf of Australia, and that of artist Kathryn ("Kat"), from whom Caleb has been divorced for eighteen months, whose family heritage is Koori (the indigenous peoples of New South Wales and Victoria). While Resurrection Bay is "hard-boiled with heart", the relationship between Caleb and the ex-wife that he still cherishes is especially beautifully rendered.

Resurrection Bay is a book with characters so compelling and complex, one will surely linger over the final pages. The next Caleb Zelic installment, releasing in the US October 2, 2018, is already marked on my calendar, and cannot be published quickly enough!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Resurrection Bay.

March 29, 2018 – Shelved
March 31, 2018 – Shelved as: audiobook
March 31, 2018 – Shelved as: favorite-audiobook-narration
April 2, 2018 – Shelved as: favorites
April 2, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Fantastic review, Laura. You have me even more excited for this one now!!

Laura/Mystery in Minutes Thanks, Mike. That’s great to hear.
I hope you enjoy it! : )

Icewineanne This is in transit to me via my local library. Thrilled to finally get a chance to read it.
Terrific review Laura!

Laura/Mystery in Minutes Thank you, Anne.
Enjoy!

message 5: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine What a fab review, Laura. I was thinking of cutting this book from my list, but your review has squashed that idea!

Laura/Mystery in Minutes Christine wrote: "What a fab review, Laura. I was thinking of cutting this book from my list, but your review has squashed that idea!"

Excellent, Christine! If you're aware of The Dry by another Australian crime writer that you may have heard of, let me say that this debut probably impressed me as much. I hope you enjoy it, if you do read it!

message 7: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine Laura/Mystery in Minutes wrote: "Christine wrote: "What a fab review, Laura. I was thinking of cutting this book from my list, but your review has squashed that idea!"

Excellent, Christine! If you're aware of The Dry by another A..."

Wow, Laura, now that's an endorsement! The Dry is very high on my list and plan to get to it this year. Yep, will definitely read this one then. Thanks!

message 8: by Polly (new) - added it

Polly Impelling review, Laura! This is going on my list!

Laura/Mystery in Minutes Polly wrote: "Impelling review, Laura! This is going on my list!"

Wonderful, Polly! I hope you enjoy it, and thank you!

Icewineanne Good review Laura. You enjoyed it more than i did. Too much focus on Caleb’s personal angst for me.

message 11: by Christine (new) - added it