Andrew Kyle Bacon's Reviews > Akira, Vol. 4

Akira, Vol. 4 by Katsuhiro Otomo

Despite having the roughest start so far, Vol. 4 of AKIRA ends up standing head and shoulders above its predecessors. The opening sections of this book litter the pages with too many uninteresting characters and events, and features an extreme leap forward in time since the last book. These facts make the first third of the book is a slog to get through. But at some point a switch flips, the story suddenly gets a hold of its tone and pace, and the book turns into an adventure. The panels whizz by like a blur, with each picture kinetically connecting to one another, creating in the mind a sense of motion which I've never before experienced in a graphic novel. With each turn of the page, the book goes faster. The story flies by, first two panels at a time, then two pages at a time, and then twenty pages at a time. Suddenly the book is done, and you find yourself starving for more. At this point, it makes me a bit sad to know that I have only two volumes remaining in AKIRA. I could read this forever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Akira, Vol. 4.

March 29, 2018 – Started Reading