Jazmen's Reviews > Love Notes

Love Notes by Christina C. Jones

Read 2 times. Last read March 29, 2018 to March 30, 2018.

Christina C. Jones' books bridge the gap between African American romance readers and the traditionally published romance novel.

It goes without saying, (I'm going to say it, though) romance is not a genre that black readers (this applies to POC in general, as well) can run to, to find many characters that look or feel like them.

Christina C. Jones fulfills that need. Her characters are utterly black--and they do so without apology and gratefully without stereotype. Thank heavens, for small mercies.

In Love Notes, you meet Jules and Troy--two people broken, and embittered by their tumultuous pasts, on a journey to finding love, unintentionally.

Jules character is the flip side to the playboy. She knows what she wants, and if it's casual sex? She'll have it, to hell with double standards. But, what lies beneath the playgirl-esque persona, is a woman afraid of any one getting too close.

Troy is a reformed barbershop manager, with no intentions on one night stands, or booty call hook ups. The next time he sleeps with someone, it will be with someone he's serious about.

That is until, Jules saunters into the local bar with her too cool hairstyle, dimples and slay--throwing him and his life totally off course.

I loved Jules and Troy. Between their come up and the blooming love between them, I was completely enthralled by the budding romance, and the happily ever after that followed later.

I always enjoy the types of romance that include characters that start off totally ignoring, and refusing to acknowledge the chemistry between them. I enjoy more so, when they finally get together.

In a laid back, slow-burn way, Jones weaved a tale of romance between two people who desperately wanted love, but felt they didn't deserve it.

I loved the photography aspect of it, I've always been fascinated with photography--the lighting, the different lenses, the whole nine. I even more so enjoyed the idea of Love Notes being a real thing, I think the overall idea of love in photography is really dope.

I appreciated the banter, and all of the interactions between the two main characters, and all of the supporting characters as well.

Readers will be pleased with the pacing, the down-to-earth characters, and the romance of course.

Definitely solidifies itself as a stand out romance in a lacking genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Notes.

Finished Reading