J. Greene's Reviews > Love Notes

Love Notes by Christina C. Jones

Christina C. Jones' books bridge the gap between African American romance readers and the traditionally published romance novel.

It goes without saying, (I'm going to say it, though) romance is not a genre that black readers (this applies to POC in general, as well) can run to, to find many characters that look or feel like them.

Christina C. Jones fulfills that need. Her characters are utterly black--and they do so without apology and gratefully without stereotype. Thank heavens, for small mercies.

In Love Notes, you meet Jules and Troy—two people broken, embittered by their tumultuous pasts, on a journey to finding love, unintentionally.

Jules' character is the flip side to the playboy. She knows what she wants and if it's casual sex, so be it. She'll have whatever she wants, to hell with double standards. But, what lies beneath the playgirl persona, is a woman afraid of anyone getting too close.

Troy is a reformed barbershop manager, with no intentions of engaging in one-night stands, or booty call hook-ups. The next time he sleeps with someone, it will be with someone he's serious about.

That is until Jules saunters into the local bar with her too cool hairstyle, dimples, and slay--throwing him and his life totally off course.

I loved Jules and Troy. Between their come up and the blooming love between them, I was completely enthralled by the budding romance and the happily ever after that later followed.

I always enjoy the types of romance that include characters that start off totally ignoring and refusing to acknowledge the chemistry between them. I enjoy it more so when they finally get together.

In a laid back, slow-burn way, Jones weaved a tale of romance between two people who desperately wanted love, but felt they didn't deserve it.

I loved the photography aspect of it, photography has always fascinated me —the lighting, the different lenses, the whole nine. I even more so enjoyed Love Notes being a real thing, I think the overall idea of love in photography is really dope.

I appreciated the banter, and all the interactions between the two main characters, and all the supporting characters as well.

Readers will be pleased with the pacing, the down-to-earth characters, and the romance of course.

Love Notes definitely solidifies itself as a stand out romance in a lacking genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Notes.

March 29, 2018 – Started Reading
March 29, 2018 – Shelved
March 29, 2018 –
page 22
March 29, 2018 –
March 30, 2018 –
March 30, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Jena (lit_editions) I have been trying to read this...its just so slow!

message 2: by J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J. Greene Ah! Maybe, it’s not for you, or it’s one of those you have to come back to. That happens to me sometimes.