Nikki (Saturday Nite Reader)'s Reviews > Leah on the Offbeat

Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli

liked it
bookshelves: read-2018, young-adult, owned

I had a hard time rating this one a 3.5, but just couldn’t give it a 4 and 3.75 seemed weird. I whipped through this book in two days and love author Becky Albertalli’s writing style. I am a fan of dialogue and witty banter is even better: you get that with this book. I just felt it was missing something. That something special that came with the experience of reading Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda.

Note: ‘Leah on the Offbeat’ is a continuation of the Creekwood series; Simon being Creekwood #1. It can be read as a standalone – but then you wouldn’t really know the characters and I absolutely recommend reading Simon! That is a given.

Leah is Simon’s best friend. Like Simon in Book #1, she has her own secret that is holding her back from being happy. She is sarcastic, snarky, and moody but you love her anyway because she is not malicious. She only stands in her own way.

I will not go into the rest of the story, because you need to read it to experience it. But, if you read it please let me know because there are two things I want to rant about and need someone to discuss it with. 😉

It is hard to compete with all the awesomeness of Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda. But, I expected something new from this one and was a bit disappointed. It felt a bit rushed and lacking the care the first book had. I do still think its worth a read, especially if you loved Simon and want to see what some of the characters are up to. Just don’t expect to be blown away.

To read my reviews visit: www.saturdaynitereader.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leah on the Offbeat.

March 28, 2018 – Shelved
May 5, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
May 5, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
May 5, 2018 – Finished Reading
May 31, 2018 – Shelved as: owned

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Kat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat I read it. You can read my review if you want to see how I felt. I had mixed feelings.

message 2: by Terrie's (new)

Terrie's Just Another Book B*tch Great review hon. Sorry it missed the mark!

Stormi (Bewitched Reader) I've been intrigued by this author but haven't picked up one of her books yet.

message 4: by DJ (new)

DJ Sakata Too bad, it can be hard for sequels to live up to a stellar first in series

Tara I found Leah to be downright rude, and did not enjoy her story at all. :/

message 6: by Katiria (new) - added it

Katiria Great review Nikki I am so sorry this book didn't really work out for you.