msleighm's Reviews > Confessions of the Fox

Confessions of the Fox by Jordy Rosenberg

bookshelves: arc, giveaway, own, historical-fiction, european-history, first-edition

4 stars.

Giveaway, I'd like to thank the author and publisher for this Advanced Readers Copy.

Great story of the repressed and disenfranchised. Style, possible historical document with modern day editors notes, keeps niggling at my brain, but I can't remember what book it reminds me of. Certainly nothing similar in topic or time period.

A passage that I particularly like, page 163: "Spinoza once ask'd himself the question of whether or not 'twas acceptable for a person to lie to save his own life. Do you know what he said? ... He said that it is immoral for free individuals to limit another person's power to be free, to act freely, to make free choices. No matter the circumstances. ... You're free. You freed yourself. You're free. And anyway ... I've seen people much free than you hold fast to honesty. Even in the face of death."

By page 262, I decided this is a brilliant and complicated book.

Like all the best historical fiction, the novel has a comprehensive "Resources", aka bibliography. I also believe that the acknowledgements (page 319) are worth reading.

Read 3/29-4/14/18

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of the Fox.

March 28, 2018 – Shelved