James's Reviews > Scripting the Truth

Scripting the Truth by T.A. Henry

bookshelves: 1-fiction, 8-authors-i-know, 7-arc-giveaway-won, 9-read-2018-04-april

Although I'm American, I find myself drawn to lots of British literature with 20th century settings and plots. Scripting the Truth showed up on someone's blog as a recently added book, so I had to look up more about it. That's when I discovered the author, T.A. Henry, is also a blogger. I began following her blog and learning more about her, then decided to add a few of her books to my collection last month. I'm so glad I did... this one I started with is a wonderful novel that carried along with great ease and interest. And it came about at the right time given the topics covered in the story about the film business which is where I find myself focusing the last few weeks. But first a quick overview of the story:

Lady Margaret Leighton served in World War II administering to injured soldiers coming back for rest and treatment. She fell in love with one of the patients, but lost the opportunity to stay connected with him. After Margaret arrived home, her mother wanted to find a suitable husband while her father wanted her to work for his company. Margaret wanted nothing to do with that! She learned that the soldier she had met became an actor, which pushed her to try to become an actress (to meet him). When that didn't work, she decided to become a scriptwriter. It all began to come together, but then it soon all fell apart. Throw in a few side stories with her best friend, Lila, her two brothers and their wives, and a couple of other characters she meets in the film business, and you've got a nice romantic historical drama with levity and charm.

Henry's writing style is witty and seamless. I wouldn't call it a classic 'page-turner' (as I think that's more for suspense and thriller books), but there's something about the story and characters that push you to read just a bit more than you planned each day -- in that respect, it's a new kind of page-turner! I read the book over two days, sitting for about an hour each time, finding myself wanting to read more but also wanting to let some of the actions and themes settle in for analysis and thought. Margaret is probably a very typical woman of her time, but she's also got an energy and a drive that you don't often see in people. She's persistent and will make her re-connection to the soldier happen no matter what. But it's the surprises life has in store for her that make this extra special.

Henry's characters are charming. The mother is definitely not a character we're supposed to like. She's not awful, but there's enough of a wall and attitude that we have good conflict for Margaret to face. The relationship with her father is charming and has both ups-and-downs, which is very typical of someone in her situation -- that's what makes the book so readable. You care just as much about her family life as you do her professional life. It's in her professional life where we see her shine, but when her heart is broken, you feel the sadness over the loss just as much as she does.

Much of the detail in the book is very well-thought out and intricate. Given the time frames are ~70 years ago, the film business is way more complicated than an average reader probably knows, and the specifics of the war are frequently referred to, it's obvious how much energy and effort went into researching this novel -- it's also what makes it all the more appealing for a reader when there's something to learn but also truly transport you to the historical place and time.

Kudos to Henry for gaining a new fan. Too bad there aren't half-stars here... cause it's a solid 4.5 stars from this reader. I'll split it and go with 5 on Amazon. I'm looking forward to picking up more of her work later this year. She's even nominated for a RONE award on one of her latest pieces. Nice!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scripting the Truth.

March 27, 2018 – Shelved
March 27, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
March 27, 2018 – Shelved as: 1-fiction
March 27, 2018 – Shelved as: 8-authors-i-know
April 25, 2018 – Started Reading
April 25, 2018 – Shelved as: 7-arc-giveaway-won
April 27, 2018 –
20.0% "Half story, half play. Keeping my attention. Funny character. One of my favorite historical times. Good so far!"
April 30, 2018 –
60.0% "Very interesting (in a good way) character and format to telling the story. I'm curious where this is going..."
April 30, 2018 – Shelved as: 9-read-2018-04-april
April 30, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Teresa (new) - added it

Teresa Great review James and you've made me definitely want to read it.

James Perfect historical fiction easy read!

message 3: by Teresa (new) - added it

Teresa I enjoy anything set in or around WW2. Struggling a bit with reading at the moment so may take some time to get to it. My mother died last week and I'm a bit all over the place. Can't seem to focus even though reading has always been a consolation to me. I'll get there eventually.

James Oh I am so sorry, Teresa. That’s such sad news. My heart and condolences are with you. It will be hard and you can only take each day as it comes. Big hugs. I’m here if you need to chat.

message 5: by Teresa (new) - added it

Teresa Ah thanks James, you're so kind. Only for my GR friends I don't know what I'd do. Sitting here now trying to finish The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. It's a good read but I'm wool gathering and so rereading the same passage over and over. Time I suppose. That's what they tell you anyway.

James Teresa wrote: "Ah thanks James, you're so kind. Only for my GR friends I don't know what I'd do. Sitting here now trying to finish The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. It's a good read but I'm wool gathering and..." Don't push yourself too hard. Change books if it's the wrong one at the wrong time.