Elle's Reviews > Love's Charade

Love's Charade by Jane Feather

Nov 10, 2011

liked it
Read from November 12 to 17, 2011

Jane Feather has a real gift for putting historical detail in a pretty good story. This one is set in the years leading up to the Reign of Terror. The heroine is a young but feisty French girl. The hero is a much older, jaded nobleman spying for Pitt. Lots of good background tying in with a story that is fun to read.

I think this must be Feather's first novel. It has a lot of the elements. First books are the books that the authors work the longest and hardest on, usually the stories that they have their first passion for. This one is a little overwritten in places, but there are also some really nice, fresh turns of phrase and great insights.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love's Charade.

11/12/2011 page 89
19.0% "I can tell this is one of the author's first efforts. It has all the best and worst elements of first books. These are the books that embody the first love and passion of the writer, the books that they spend long hours perfecting. They tend to be a bit overwritten, but they also have profound and eloquent turns of phrase, and exacting, loving attention to detail. I can see why this author has become successful."