Chris Huff's Reviews > Orthodoxy

Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton

Read 2 times. Last read May 9, 2019 to August 9, 2019.

This is perhaps my new favorite book on Christian apologetics, even though it confesses to be a sort of testimony instead. Chesterton presents a very logical, yet simple argument for Christianity. It's so simple and straight-forward that one would be hard-pressed to argue against it in any way except to simply say, "I disagree."

Most apologetics books (such as "The Case for Christ" and "I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist") argue from evidence. Such books are certainly useful, usually to strengthen the faith of believers. But "Orthodoxy" argues from logic and paradox, showing how only Christianity makes any sense at all.

That's not to say that I agree with everything written in this book. I (probably) don't. For instance, I was perplexed and challenged by just the last few pages to rethink my understanding of the sorrows and joys of life. I will need to search the Scriptures to see whether Chesterton's view is true. Jesus Himself was the man of sorrows, and yet in Him we have fumes of life.

But usually such things were merely asides that the author interjected rather than points on which his argument hinged. Over all, I think this may be my new favorite book to recommend to unbelievers who are willing to consider the claims of Christianity. It's just such a simple, beautiful testimony.

***

Upon my second reading of this work, I heartily emphasize the review I wrote Yoon my first reading. I especially love the very first two chapters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Orthodoxy.

Started Reading