Alanna King's Reviews > Scarborough

Scarborough by Catherine  Hernandez

bookshelves: evergreen, canadian

This is my favourite book that I've read this year HANDS DOWN. It first came to my attention because I love the Ontario Library Association's Evergreen list each year. I enjoyed the audiobook version through Audible as Hernandez narrates her own book. I listen to audiobooks a lot on my commute to and from work, but this summer, I used the audiobook to motivate me as I was weeding my garden. I found myself, on more than one occasion, weeping openly in my yard.

It's a small but mighty hyperfocus on a neighbourhood in Scarborough, Ontario. It centres around the a Family Literacy centre which feels so real that I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Catherine Hernandez has done this work before, which is to say, scraping together a program and creating a culture of welcome using virtually nothing at all. The families that come and go each come to the centre for a different reason, and each child has unique challenges. 3 children's lives, in particular, are emphasized: Bing, Sylvie and Laura. Through their lives, Hernandez calls the reader to attention and reveals the crucial necessity of outreach programming.

The book is so poignant, so concise, as if no words are wasted. The overlapping timelines, character development and continuous threads allow the reader to see cause and effect repeat with often catastrophic results. Hernandez masterfully builds hope and then thwarts it with a harsh blow of reality, making each development really earn its place in building to the conclusion.

It turns out that Hernandez splits her time between writing and the theatre which maybe why I can tell that we're kindred spirits. This book could easily be staged or turned into a film. The images in my mind while listening were like a movie. I'll be following Hernandez's work and waiting impatiently for the arrival of whatever she's written. I can't say enough about the power of this book. Just go get it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarborough.

March 26, 2018 – Shelved