Kotryna's Reviews > One Place After Another: Site-Specific Art and Locational Identity

One Place After Another by Miwon Kwon

liked it

The only thing I am sure of after reading this book is that I am deeply provincial when it comes to art outside museum walls; how unaware I was of the wonderful world of site-specific art inside and outside gallery walls, filling the streets, local communities, and nature with content that challenges identities, builds relationships, expands a meaning of space, and in other ways affects or is affected by the locality.

In brief, it is a great introduction to site-specific art (though in many parts, still beyond my own reach). There are no taking sides in this book, just a research-based polemic on how the concept of site-specific art changed through years & different practices, which helps to navigate in this branch of the art world, while the relationship between location and identity gets only more complex and unstable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Place After Another.

March 26, 2018 – Started Reading