Melissa's Reviews > The Dream Daughter

The Dream Daughter by Diane Chamberlain

After being thoroughly impressed by The Stolen Marriage, I was excited to check out The Dream Daughter. I'm so glad I did because it has become one of my 2018 favorites. This is only my second experience with Diane Chamberlain's writing and I definitely want more!

The Dream Daughter is an excellent story. It kept me on the edge of my seat, wondering what would happen next and worrying about the characters when I had to step away to attend to real life. Sometimes I thought I knew what was going to happen, but then I'd get thrown for a loop. Diane's writing drew me in and didn't let go. I am still thinking about it almost two weeks later!

I loved all the character interactions. They seemed very genuine and heartfelt. The story made me think about what I take for granted in my own life. It was even haunting in some ways. The only thing that didn't work for me so well was the technicality behind what was happening. I can't say a lot as to not spoil anything, but I usually have issues like this when it comes to dealing with time in any way, shape, or form. Diane was very creative, but some aspects just felt confusing.

I can't recommend this book enough. It is perfect for fans of Valley of the Moon (by Melanie Gideon) or anyone who wants to suspend disbelief and be swept away by a different kind of love story.

Movie casting suggestions:
Carly: Britt Robertson
Hunter: Scott Eastwood
Patti: Melissa Benoist
Myra: Maria Doyle Kennedy
Winnie: Stockard Channing

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dream Daughter.

March 26, 2018 – Shelved
March 26, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
September 1, 2018 – Started Reading
September 4, 2018 –
page 62
September 5, 2018 –
page 94
September 8, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Carole Nice review Mellissa. I’ve read and enjoyed many of Diane’s books. She’s a favorite author of mine. Looking forward to this one!!

message 2: by Lloyd (new) - added it

Lloyd Russell After just finishing The Stolen Marriage and really liking it (thanks for sending), I am definitely onboard for The Dream Daughter!

message 3: by Meital (new) - added it

Meital Ben-Daniel You threw me off by implying there's something with an unusual sense of time in the book... I also don't like that. I'm still contemplating reading this one.

I read Diane's Summer Child and greatly enjoyed it. Try it when you get the time.

Melissa Carole wrote: "Nice review Mellissa. I’ve read and enjoyed many of Diane’s books. She’s a favorite author of mine. Looking forward to this one!!"

Hope you enjoy it!

Melissa Lloyd wrote: "After just finishing The Stolen Marriage and really liking it (thanks for sending), I am definitely onboard for The Dream Daughter!"

You are in for a treat!

Melissa Meital wrote: "You threw me off by implying there's something with an unusual sense of time in the book... I also don't like that. I'm still contemplating reading this one.

I read Diane's Summer Child and great..."

Don't let my one concern keep you from reading The Dream Daughter. It's truly an amazing book that will stay with you for a long time afterward.

Thanks for the recommendation!

message 7: by Meital (new) - added it

Meital Ben-Daniel Melissa wrote: "Meital wrote: "You threw me off by implying there's something with an unusual sense of time in the book... I also don't like that. I'm still contemplating reading this one.

I read Diane's Summer ..."

Ok! Thanks !