Justine's Reviews > NurtureShock: New Thinking About Children

NurtureShock by Po Bronson

I found it to be as eye-opening as Malcolm Gladwell's books and Freakonomics. I do wish, however, that the authors spent more time discussing what works at the end of each chapter. In other words, don't just tell us why everything we've heard before is wrong, but tell us what we are supposed to do as well.

In particular, I enjoyed "the sibling effect" chapter because I want to do what I can to ensure my girls have a close relationship based on love and mutual respect. I may be especially in tune to this aspect of parenting because I often wonder whether it will matter that I didn't grow up with a sibling. I have no personal experience from which to draw when helping my children fight their battles with each other. I find it interesting that the authors point to research showing children fight over their belongings, not over the affection of their parents. How egocentric of us to think otherwise. Then, at the end of the chapter they note the children who got along best with their siblings started out having good relationships with friends.

What frustrates me is that they don't provide specifics as to why these children had good relationships with friends; did their parents do something special or different to teach them to share toys or show respect? Perhaps they are gearing up to write a sequel or a workbook for parents. I hope so. I would snap it up in a heartbeat!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read NurtureShock.

Finished Reading