Mike's Reviews > The Roald Dahl Omnibus: Perfect Bedtime Stories for Sleepless Nights

The Roald Dahl Omnibus by Roald Dahl

May 31, 2008

bookshelves: general-fiction, short-stories

This is a collection of short stories by a man many consider to be the greatest children's writer ever. This book should end that discussion. First, these stories show clearly that he really never wrote for children. He was a children's subversive, in that his stories are really nursery tales meant for adults. Second, anyone who has read his novels gets the vague sense there is a darker story being told than the mere details suggest. These short stories reveal that dark side: violent, biting and cruel. That is not to say that you will be revulsed by these accounts. In some ways, this shows the versatility of Dahl, a writer more like Flannery O'Connor than I ever knew. Since I love O'Connor, it was a natural that I would like this. Dahl has an ear for strange dialogue that still sounds believable even if it sounds at the same time unreal.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Roald Dahl Omnibus.