Stephanie Lenox's Reviews > Be the Gateway: A Practical Guide to Sharing Your Creative Work and Engaging an Audience

Be the Gateway by Dan  Blank

U 50x66

Recommended to Stephanie by: Dan Blank, whom I follow through his weekly newsletter
Recommended for: Writers, Musicians, Crafters, Creative Professionals

This book is great for someone just starting out trying to publish, record, blog, or sell their craft online. Dan Blank unpacks the opaque topic of how, just HOW, is a creative professional supposed to connect their creation with an audience?! The title says it all: you yourself are to actually be the gateway to others finding your work and being impacted by it. He takes a very practical, step-by-step approach to how to get started in this: everything from identifying who your audience is (30-something mom's? Underground punk teen boys? Men on cattle ranches?) by finding out what other books/music/products already out there are like yours, and who reads them. He stays above the din of other "self-help-writer-jargon" with such ideas as, "Avoid 'Best Practices,'" and "Focus on Individuals, not an Audience." My favorite image of this book is when, in his early years, he worked for a coffee shop that hosted open mic nights. Oftentimes, people would pour out their hearts on stage, with no more than himself and the owner of the shop to clap afterwards. They had no audience. Sometimes, we can get down on ourselves because we only have 60 followers. But could you imagine how excited that open-mic soloist would be to have 60 people crowd into the coffee shop, just to hear her? So, when I get down about how few followers I have, I try to imagine a crowd of all those people standing beneath the stage, waiting for me to come on. It always makes me feel better. And that's the main point of this book: it's about people, not audiences. It's about the experience your work brings to each person, not about sales. In the end, that's what most memorable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Be the Gateway.

March 25, 2018 – Started Reading