Jael's Reviews > For Time and Eternity

Nov 10, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, christian, fiction, history, mormon
Read from November 11 to 14, 2011

I really don't read much fiction any more, especially Christian fiction, which I have a general personal vendetta against - but because it was free on Kindle and about a topic I'm intrigued with at the moment (Mormonism), I gave it a read.

It was interesting. In fact, I liked it more than I thought I would - it wasn't well-written, but made a lot of interesting points. I think the part that stood out to me most was the part where Kimana (the Native American maid) makes the point to the main character that, had Jesus really come to the US as the Mormons teach, her people would have passed such a monumental story down through the generations.

I think I'd read the next books if the library would have them, but would never go out and buy them. Am mildly curious to know how she plans to wrap it all up.

Also really liked the author's little "interview" thing at the end of the book. It was nice to see her call Mormonism by its right name and not try to be all ecumenical about it. :-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read For Time and Eternity.

Ruth How is this going?

Jael It was interesting. In fact, I liked it more than I thought I would - it wasn't well-written, but made a lot of interesting points. I think the part that stood out to me most was the part where Kimana makes the point that, had Jesus really come to the US as the Mormons teach, her people would have passed such a monumental story down through the generations.

I think I'd read the next books if the library would have them, but wouldn't go out and buy them. Am mildly curious to know how she plans to wrap it all up.

Ruth I'm with you. I was interested in her motivations for writing the book, so the interview at the end was more interesting to me than the book itself. I want to know how she wraps things up also: whether she'll take the easy way out (killing off unwanted characters is a cheat, in my estimation) or if she will be able to bring about an ending that mainstream Christian fiction readers would find satisfying.