Arden Belrose's Reviews > Threshold

Threshold by Patricia J. Anderson

Recommended to Arden by: Common Deer Press Advanced Readers Program
Recommended for: dystopian, adventure, animal characters

Note: I received a free ARC of this book from Common Deer Press in return for an honest review.

I want to give it 4.5 stars but since you can't on Goodreads I'm rounding it to four.

I'd probably never have given this book a second glance if it hadn't been given to me for free. I know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover(and at times, the blurb) and this book is one of them.

'Threshold' is an amalgam of genres: adventure, sci-fi, mysticism, dystopian, it's got a bit of almost everything and Patricia makes it all work seamlessly! (There was no romance though but you won't miss it. And that's coming from someone who HAS to have some romance in a story to read it). Its style and the world Oolandia presides in is reminiscent of the ones in '1984', 'Alice in Wonderland' and a smidgen of 'Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'. Her messages are obvious, there's no doubt that 'Threshold' is about the consequences of mankind's relentless exploitation of the natural world, all in the name of 'progress'. Although she shoves this message down your throat it's made bearable with sprinklings of mystery and humor throughout the story. I am ASTOUNDED at just how accurate Patricia has depicted our current world, and with animals as protagonists! The novel also deals with racism, power and injustice in the corporate world, morality and a handful of other topics as well.

Some of the humor seemed forced, especially that of those coming from the stereotypical cornball sidekick, Taboook. The book got quite cheesy in some parts but, hey, you can't have everything, right?

'Threshold' by Patricia J. Anderson is not a book you simply discard after reading. It's a dire warning and a plea to everyone alive; change our ways and do our bit, or accept the fact that this earth won't hold out much longer.

As Sid says in the book, "Some will see, some won't. But it must be shown."

I'll leave you with some quotes.

One of my favorites in this book:

'Sorry to be the one to tell you this, old chap, but Ooolandia isn't a democracy anymore.'
'What is it then?'
'It's a business. Has been for some time now.'

And one that I hate(you'll know when you read it):

'Hmmm. Not bad. Crunchy on the outside, creamy on the inside.'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Threshold.

March 18, 2018 – Started Reading